Kyle Busch seeks trifecta in Bristol tripleheader

3 Comments

Kyle Busch will attempt to win all three NASCAR races at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend.

If he’s successful, it will mark only the second time in NASCAR history that a driver has swept all three weekend events.

The previous winner to do so?

Kyle Busch, of course, in August 2010 at Bristol.

Busch will drive the No. 18 DoubleMint Toyota in Saturday night’s Sprint Cup race, the No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota in the Nationwide Series event and the No. 51 Dollar General Toyota in the Camping World Truck Series.

“I love Bristol, and getting back there running all three divisions is going to be fun again,” Busch said in a Joe Gibbs Racing team media release. “Being able to get back in the Truck, of course, and then run the Nationwide car and also run the Cup car. … . We’d love to be able to repeat 2010 – that would be amazing – and do another trifecta.”

Busch, 29, loves racing at the .533-mile oval, but his overall success in recent years has not been as good as he’d like.

“Since they’ve ground that place, it’s not necessarily been my best track lately,” Busch said. “So, I’ve got some work to do to figure out how to get better there and make it happen.”

Like a good race car driver, Busch also gave kudos to his primary sponsor for this week. Normally, we’d omit something like that, but in this case we’ll leave that reference in because there is some relevance and similarity to what Busch did in 2010.

“We’re excited to have Doublemint on the car this weekend,” Busch said. “It’s the company’s 100th anniversary this year and it was on my car for the sweep in 2010, so hopefully we can bring them back to victory lane on Saturday night..”

Busch was nothing short of dominant in that August 2010 weekend, leading a race-high 282 laps in the Sprint Cup race en route to victory lane, while also leading 514 of a possible 956 laps across all three series races there.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

NEOM McLaren Formula E announces Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast for 2023 season

McLaren Formula E Hughes
McLaren Racing
0 Comments

Doubling down on their commitment to electric auto sports, McLaren Racing announced Jake Hughes will join Rene Rast to compete in the 2023 Formula E Series (FE), which completes their driver lineup.

The NEOM McLaren FE team was formed by the acquisition of the Mercedes-EQ Formula E team that won the 2021 and 2022 championships with Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries behind the wheel.

“Today’s announcement feels like a long time coming,” said Ian James, managing director of NEOM McLaren Electric Racing in a release. “Since May this year, when we first announced McLaren Racing’s entry into Formula E, we have been working tirelessly to get in place the best possible team and structure for sustainable success.

“On the one hand, we have been working on the retention of the amazing talent that already was in place before going into the transitional phase. I’m proud to say I think we’ve done a great job on that front.

“On the other hand, we have been focusing on putting in place new processes and new talent – and the latter includes the drivers.”

The driver lineup clasps the two hands together.

Hughes brings 10 years racing experience in single seater cars, including a role with the acquired Mercedes-EQ team as a reserve and development driver for the past two seasons. He is the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 champion and has multiple wins in Formula 2, including two in 2020.

Announced in August, Rast joins the team after earning two podium finishes and six top-fives in 22 career Formula E starts for Audi Sport ABT before returning to the DTM Series last year. Rast’s best finish in Formula E came in the Puebla E Prix when he finished second to teammate Lucas di Grassi by less than a half second.

McLaren’s commitment to Formula E comes one year after they entered the Extreme E rally series in 2022 with Tanner Foust and Emma Gilmour in the driver lineup. After a modest start to the season, the McLaren XE drivers crossed the finish line first in Round 4 in Chile, but were assessed a time penalty that dropped them to fifth. Last week in the season finale in Uruguay, they held onto a hard-earned second place finish.