Lotterer warns not to expect too much from his F1 debut

1 Comment

Three-time Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer feels ready to make his Formula 1 debut this weekend with Caterham after securing an unusual deal to race in Belgium this weekend.

Caterham confirmed on Wednesday that Lotterer, pictured left, would be replacing full-time driver Kamui Kobayashi for the race at Spa-Francorchamps, allowing the team to draw on the German’s experience from his other racing escapades.

However, given that Lotterer has made his name in sportscars, and that he hasn’t tested an F1 car since 2002, there have been some questions about his suitability for the seat. He is unfazed by the prospect, though.

“For sure, it’s a big challenge,” he admitted to the media in Belgium. “I think you have to be quite brave to jump in like this in the middle of the season.

“The reasons I feel ready for it is that first of all I still race in single seaters, SuperFormula, which I believe is one of the fastest single seater series outside of Formula 1. In that sense, I’m not out of shape.

“And I’m racing really complex cars in the WEC with Audi. The last time I drove an F1 car was more than ten years ago. The sport changed and evolved, but on my side, for sure I gained a lot of experience as well.

“It’s something nice to do in my career and it’s a great opportunity. I thank Caterham a lot for this, and also Audi and Team Toms in Japan who have given me the freedom.”

Lotterer warned the F1 community not to expect too much from him, given that he has only tested the car on the team’s simulator and will get behind the wheel for the first time on Friday during practice.

“I will have to learn everything very fast so don’t expect too much from me,” he said. “Obviously, Formula 1 is largely dictated by the car, and we don’t have a winning car. We have an updated package and I hope I can bring all my experience and my speed, as fast as possible.

“It’s an unusual situation.”

Kobayashi is poised to return to the wheel of the Caterham for the Italian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time. However, this weekend’s race will give us an interesting insight into how difficult it will be to make the transfer from sportscar to single seater racing, as well as showing what Lotterer himself is capable of behind the wheel of an F1 car.

As my MotorSportsTalk colleague Tony DiZinno wrote earlier today, his debut will be refreshing for both Caterham and Formula 1 as a whole.

Rinus VeeKay to drive for Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020

Doug Mathews/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Ed Carpenter Racing has signed 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay to drive the full 2020 NTT IndyCar Series season, the team announced Wednesday.

VeeKay will drive the No. 21 Chevrolet previously occupied by Spencer Pigot.

“I’m so happy!” the 19-year-old driver from the Netherlands said in a press release. “It’s a dream come true and something we have worked extremely hard for over the last couple of years. To step up from USF2000 to the NTT IndyCar Series in three years is really special.”

In his maiden Indy Lights season this year, VeeKay collected six race victories and seven pole potions. VeeKay previously won the 2018 Indy Pro 2000 championship, and finished second in the 2017 USF2000 standings.

VeeKay’s success in the ladder series caught the attention of Carpenter, who gave VeeKay the opportunity to first test for the team at Portland International Raceway in August.

“I have been following Rinus’s path through the Road to Indy, especially the past two years,” Carpenter said. “It was clear to me that he deserves to be in an Indy car. After his first day in a car at Portland this past season, that feeling became even more apparent. His pace, feedback and demeanor inside the car was very impressive for such a young driver.”

As a driver, Carpenter will be VeeKay’s teammate during the five oval races in 2020, once again returning to the team’s No. 20 entry. An announcement on which driver will pilot the No. 20 on the road and street circuits will be made at a later time.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter