Villeneuve: Verstappen’s promotion “the worst thing ever for F1”

3 Comments

Former F1 world champion Jacques Villeneuve has weighed in on the debate about Max Verstappen making his debut at the age of 17 next season, saying that it is “the worst thing ever” for the sport.

The outspoken figure spoke to Autosport about Verstappen’s promotion to a full-time race seat at Toro Rosso for 2015 after just one season in single seaters, and made his feelings quite clear.

“It is the worst thing ever for Formula 1 because it will have two effects: it will either destroy him or, even if he is successful right away, then F1 will be meaningless,” Villeneuve told the British publication.

“What will F1 be? It will be nothing. It doesn’t do any good for anyone. Getting a superlicense should be meaningful.

“There is something that is flawed there. Basically, it is like getting all the presents without deserving anything.

“But there is this thing of ‘the younger, the better’. What’s the next step? A team who will sign someone at 15 just to get the image out of it?”

Following the team’s announcement earlier this week, the paddock has been abuzz with talk about Verstappen and Toro Rosso. Most of the current drivers have said that they are happy to race against the Dutch youngster, but deemed it to be a risky move on the part of the team.

Red Bull’s chief technical officer Adrian Newey is not as concerned about Verstappen racing in F1, but fears that it may set a dangerous precedent as Villeneuve alluded to.

“I don’t think age per se is particularly important,” he said. “Over the years we’ve seen a huge spread in driver ages. Fernando is still one of the very top drivers but has been in it for many seasons.

“I think what is a much more concerning question personally is the effect on education that happens for these drivers to get there at that age. A lot of drivers in karting and in junior formulas frankly just aren’t going to school. They don’t go to school at all.

“It’s something which motor racing as an industry urgently needs to look at, because personally, I think we’re being irresponsible allowing that.”

Michael Schumacher’s son to make F1 practice debut at Nurburgring

F1 Mick Schumacher
Joe Portlock - Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images
Leave a comment

MARANELLO, Italy — Mick Schumacher, son of the legednary seven-time champion, will have an official Formula One drive during an F1 race weekend for the first time next week at the Nurburgring, Alfa Romeo and Ferrari said Tuesday.

Schumacher gets the practice drive in an Alfa Romeo on Oct. 9 on his home track in Germany as a member of Ferrari’s young driver program, taking over Antonio Giovinazzi’s car for the first session of the weekend.

“I am overjoyed to get this chance in free practice,” Schumacher said in a statement. “I’m going to prepare myself well, so that I can do the best possible job for the team and gain some valuable data for the weekend.”

The 21-year-old Schumacher leads the Formula 2 standings after winning races in Monza and Sochi. He won the European Formula 3 championship in 2018 and tested a Ferrari F1 car in Bahrain in April 2019. He also has done demonstration runs in his father’s old cars, most recently this month ahead of the Tuscan Grand Prix in a championship-winning 2004 Ferrari.

Michael Schumacher holds the F1 record with 91 victories, which Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of tying.

Ferrari said two other drivers in its academy program will also get practice drives in Formula One.

Callum Ilott, a British driver who is second to Mick Schumacher in F2, will drive an F1 Haas at the Nurburgring on the same day as Schumacher. Russian driver Robert Shwartzman will drive in practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Dec. 11, though Ferrari hasn’t said for which team.

The German round was added to the F1 schedule after the coronavirus pandemic disrupted the season and will be officially known as the Eifel Grand Prix after a nearby mountain range. The Nurburgring last hosted F1 in 2013.