Red Bull Junior drivers have been heavily in the news of late and another one is making waves this Tuesday. Pierre Gasly, a rising 18-year-old French driver, will step up to GP2 with Caterham starting this weekend at Monza. He steps up from the World Series by Renault, the usual home for Red Bull Juniors.
Per NBCSN’s F1 insider and pit reporter Will Buxton, Gasly is the first Red Bull Junior driver to race in GP2 since Sebastien Buemi in 2008.
Gasly replaces Tom Dillmann, who had filled in for Alexander Rossi following Rossi’s departure from the Caterham GP2 squad earlier this year. Rio Haryanto continues in the team’s second car, as he has all season.
“Of course I am really excited to be driving in GP2 with Caterham Racing. It is a new Series for me and a great opportunity to race and gain experience in a different car and on Formula One circuits,” Gasly said in a team release.
“For sure the GP2 car is going to be different to drive, it has more power than the Formula Renault 3.5 but has less aero. I will have to adapt my driving style, but that is my job and I will try to do this as quickly as I can.”
The Caterham GP2 squad is not under the same ownership and direction as the Caterham F1 Team, which has gone through an ownership change this year.
And on that front, the identity of the second Caterham driver for Monza this weekend remains in flux. Andre Lotterer could return after his Spa debut, Kamui Kobayashi seems less likely while youngsters Carlos Sainz Jr. and Roberto Merhi – the former of which is another Red Bull Junior – have also been linked to the seat provided they accrue enough mileage to secure their F1 Superlicense.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.