Once again, Fernando Alonso has had to do all he can with a flawed car this season at Ferrari. The Spaniard currently sits fourth in the driver’s championship, and has become the subject of rumors involving a possible jump to McLaren in 2015.
But in an interview with Britain’s Sky Sports, Alonso denied those rumors. While indicating flattery at being talked about so much, he stated that “it’s not [his] intention to move at the moment.”
“I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago and we will see what the future [holds],” he said to Sky. “There has been a lot of talk since last summer, but from my mouth, there never came any interest to leave Ferrari or any words saying l would join another team.
“There was a lot of speculation, which is not disturbing but it created a little bit of tension and stress. Yet you also feel happy and proud that the best teams have an interest in you and say so in public.”
The first season of the V6 era has not been an easy one for the Scuderia, which hasn’t been able to hang with either Mercedes or Red Bull and is having to fend off Williams for third in the constructors’ championship.
Alonso has squeezed two podium finishes out of the F14 T, while teammate Kimi Raikkonen has earned none so far in his return season at Maranello (although he got close last time out at Belgium with a fourth-place finish).
Those frustrations were also acknowledged by Alonso in his interview with Sky.
“…We had high hopes with this year’s new regulations and starting from zero with all the other teams, we thought we could have an advantage with all our facilities and input from everybody,” he said. “But we have found ourselves not in the right position and not competitive.”
Last week, Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci said he was not worried about either Alonso or Raikkonen possibly leaving the squad at season’s end.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.