Mattiacci refuses to comment on Montezemolo quit rumors

1 Comment

Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci has refused to get drawn into discussions about the future of the marque’s president, Luca di Montezemolo, amid speculation that he could be set to resign.

There had been suggestions that Montezemolo may step down later this year as a result of Ferrari’s Formula 1 fortunes failing to improve despite significant investment and efforts from the team.

Some reports had linked Fiat managers Sergio Marchionne and John Elkann with the role, giving Montezemolo the freedom to take up a senior position at Italian airline Alitalia.

However, when asked about the stories in yesterday’s FIA press conference, Mattiacci was very dismissive.

“I’m not going to comment on rumors,” he said. “I have so much things to do. I spoke to Mr. Montezemolo half an hour ago. Plenty of work on my table.

“To even comment on rumours is going to be extremely difficult for me also. No comment.”

Montezemolo appeared in the paddock at Monza on Saturday, and was swarmed by a media scrum. However, he did not comment on any speculation about his future, simply saying: “I hope we have a good weekend.”

Mattiacci was drafted in as team principal following the resignation of Stefano Domenicali in April, and has set out a long-term plan to turn around Ferrari’s fortunes in Formula 1. This weekend’s race in Italy is a particularly important one, being the team’s home event, and he said that he was very impressed by the support on show at Monza.

“I’m impressed about the passion around Ferrari,” he said. “To see all these children outside, people cheering at us, it gives us positive pressure and responsibility and motivation to keep working very hard.”