Williams retains Massa and Bottas for 2015 F1 season

2 Comments

MONZA, ITALY – Williams Martini Racing has confirmed that both Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas will be remaining with the team for the 2015 Formula 1 season.

In a press conference ahead of today’s Italian Grand Prix, team founder Sir Frank Williams presented both drivers to the media and was delighted to announce the news.

“Both of our drivers are very hard working, and understand who the competition is,” he said. “Beating the best is very, very difficult, but with our driver pairing, we will be strong in the constructors’ championship, and both of our two drivers could be world champion next year.

“That’s our announcement: both of our drivers will be staying with us next season. I’m delighted personally. This is really a triumph for us I think.”

Williams has turned its fortunes around in 2014, bouncing back from one of its worst ever campaigns. After scoring just five points in the entirety of last year, the team currently ranks fourth in the constructors’ championship, and is in the race to finish ahead of bigger teams such as Ferrari and McLaren.

For Massa, this announcement confirms that he will enjoy a second season with the team following his move from Ferrari at the end of last year.

“It’s fantastic to be part of the Williams team,” the Brazilian said. “It’s an amazing team with fantastic people. It’s like a family.

“It’ll be fantastic to do another championship next year and we are preparing to make this team stronger and stronger, bigger and bigger and I’m sure we can do a great job for the second part of the championship this year fighting with four teams.”

Valtteri Bottas has been one of the breakout stars of the 2014 season, scoring four podium finishes and producing some stunning drives that reportedly caught the eye of McLaren. However, the Finn will not be on the move for 2015.

“First of all I’m really, really happy to continue with the team for next year. With Williams, I got the opportunity to get to Formula 1, so I’m very pleased [the team] gave me the opportunity.

“Why is it good to stay? Why not? We are on the right way. We have made a big step from last year. The team has a really good future and we are not yet at the peak.

“Williams has in the past many, many years at the top, so I’m really confident we can do it again it again, so I’m really looking forward to next year.”

With this announcement, the 2015 F1 driver market begins to become a bit clearer. Reports had linked Bottas with a move away from the team, whilst the likes of Jenson Button and Felipe Nasr were rumored to be in the running for a seat at Williams.

However, it now looks even more likely that the status quo from 2014 in the top teams will remain for next season.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.