The first NASCAR oval race in Tours, France, was so well received that the track was built into a permanent structure and has become the signature race of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series.
The format was so popular with fans and competitors, NASCAR announced today the 2015 NASCAR Whelen Euro Series calendar will feature a second oval track on the schedule.
The NASCAR Whelen Euro Series will hold six race weekends involving seven European countries, highlighted by the addition of Raceway Venray, a half-mile oval in Venray, Limburg, Holland, on the border of Germany. The series will also feature a new championship round site: Circuit Zolder in Belgium.
The series will return to Tours Speedway, located outside of Paris, France, for the fourth year. The four-event regular season will also feature stops at Valencia, Spain, and Brands Hatch in England.
The semifinal round will take place at Magione in Italy before the 2015 NASCAR Whelen Euro Series champion is crowned in Belgium.
The NASCAR Whelen Euro Series holds two races per weekend for its two divisions, Elite 1 and 2, providing for 24 NASCAR races to be held across Europe.
“We are very proud of this calendar which is the result of collaboration with great tracks and partners,” said Jerome Galpin, NASCAR Whelen Euro Series President and CEO. “This is the first time in our history that every event will be fully dedicated to our Series.”
“We have seen this year in Valencia, Brands Hatch and Tours Speedway, how much our partners, fans, teams and drivers enjoy true NASCAR events. We can definitely promise them even more NASCAR action and fun this coming year.”
- The season will kick-off once again at Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia, Spain with the second edition of the Valencia NASCAR Fest on April 25-26. Yann Zimmer and Ander Vilarino earned Elite 1 wins this year on the 14-turn, 2.517-mile (4.005 km) course.
- The series will race for the first time at Raceway Venray on May 16-17. Located at the border between Holland and Germany, the .55 mile (.880 km) long, 23-degrees banked oval will make its debut in the Whelen Euro Series calendar and will pose new challenges to European drivers and teams.
- Road course racing will be king in June: Brands Hatch Circuit in Fawkham, Kent, England, will host the hugely successful American SpeedFest on June 6-7. Eddie Cheever III scored his first NASCAR win this year on the six-turn, 1.198 mile (1.929 km) layout.
- The classic weekend on the .45-mile (.750 km) Tours Speedway – the European “Daytona 500” – will take place in downtown Tours one week earlier than the last three editions, on June 27-28, closing the Regular Season.
- After the summer break, the playoffs – awarding double points – will begin in Magione, Umbria, Italy, at the Autodromo dell’Umbria di Magione, on September 12-13. The 11-turn, 1.558-mile (2.507 km) course will host the semifinal round for the second year in a row.
- The championship will then be decided in a brand new event on the 10-turn 2.492-mile (4.011 km) Circuit Zolder in Heusden-Zolder, Belgium on Oct. 3-4. The iconic Belgian track is the perfect place to host the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series Finals and welcome NASCAR fans from all over Europe.
“The NASCAR Whelen Euro Series has brought to fans, tracks and sponsors the familiar close-competition and family-friendly entertainment that is the hallmark of NASCAR,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR Vice President, Regional and Touring Series. “Next year’s schedule, featuring a blend of classic road courses and exciting ovals, will showcase the full spectrum of our competitors’ skill and offers something for every racing fan.”
2015 NASCAR Whelen Euro Series Schedule
|Date||Races||Event||Length and Type|
|Valencia NASCAR Fest
|4.005 Km / 2.489 mi Road Course|
|Raceway Venray||0.880 km / 0.550 mi Oval|
|Great Britain 1
Great Britain 2
|1.944 km / 1.208 mi Road Course|
|0.725 km / 0.450 mi Oval|
|Italy – ½ Final 1
Italy – ½ Final 2
|Magione American Style
|2.507 km / 1.558 mi Road Course|
|Belgium – Final 1
Belgium – Final 2
|Circuit Zolder||4.011 km / 2.492 mi Road Course|