Multi-talented and veteran mechanic, car chief and pit crew member Gordon Ernest Gibbs is being remembered for his long and successful career in NASCAR.
Gibbs, of Lexington, N.C., passed away Tuesday after a lengthy battle with cancer, according to an obituary provided by the Hartsell Funeral Home in Concord, N.C.
Gibbs had just turned 56 years old on Aug. 30.
Gibbs worked for a number of teams in NASCAR during his lengthy career:
* He was mechanic and tire changer for Hendrick Motorsports and driver Geoff Bodine when the latter won the 1986 Daytona 500.
* During his career, he also served as a pit crew member for several drivers including Ricky Rudd, Brett Bodine, Sterling Marlin and Lake Speed.
* He was crew chief for driver Steve Grissom in 1994, and then went to work for Joe Gibbs Racing with Joe Gibbs’ sons J.D. (now president of JGR) and Coy Gibbs in a late-model racing operation.
* Gordon Gibbs returned to HMS in 1999 and was car chief for several drivers including Joe Nemechek, Wally Dallenbach Jr., Jerry Nadeau, Kyle Busch and David Green.
* He left HMS in 2008 to join JR Motorsports as shop foreman.
Among condolences offered on Gibbs’ memorial page at Legacy.com were those from David Green and long-time NASCAR crew chief Tony Furr:
David Green: “I’m so sorry to hear about Gordon. He was a friend and a man that taught me a lot about racing. Always made you smile when you were with him. Was respected throughout the NASCAR community and will greatly be missed. The Gibbs family will be in our thoughts and prayers.”
Tony Furr: “Sorry to hear about Gordy, one of best car chiefs I worked with and a great friend. (He) will be missed.”
The family of Gordon Gibbs will receive friends at Hartsell Funeral Home on Monday from 5 to 7 pm ET, with a memorial service slated immediately afterward in the adjacent chapel.
Gordon Gibbs is survived by wife Kristin Coble Gibbs, daughter Kimberlee Gibbs, son Ryan Gibbs (Allison) and granddaughter Sophia Nicole, brother Tom Gibbs, sister, Kathy Stimson, stepson Shane Young and stepdaughter Shelly Young.
Gibbs was preceded in death by his parents, the late Ernest and Mary Katherine Gibbs, as well as a brother, Robert Gibbs.
Memorials may be made to Glenn A. Kiser Hospice House, 1229 Statesville Blvd, Salisbury, NC 28144 or Relay for Life, 1901 Brunswick Ave, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28027.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski