Formula E CEO Agag hopeful for several motor/battery manufacturers in 2015-16

1 Comment

The all-electric FIA Formula E series is only one race old, but CEO Alejandro Agag is already looking ahead to the second season in 2015-2016.

As part of responding to a series of fan questions, Agag noted that he hopes to see “three or four different makers of motors and batteries in the championship for year two.”

The series is running its inaugural 2014-2015 campaign with the same car – the Spark-Renault SRT_01E – but will shift to an “open” championship in 2015-2016 to give its teams the chance to create their own innovations.

Said teams can develop their own powertrains in 2015-2016, with battery development opening up in the third season (presumably, 2016-2017).

Agag also said that he wanted the F-E schedule to eventually grow to 18 races, a much bigger docket than the 10 races that the series will visit this year.

“Next year, we will probably be in 12, and we want to grow slowly to get to a figure of around 18 races per year,”  he said. “We are talking to many cities.

“After Beijing, we probably received requests from over 40 or 50 cities from all over the world to host a race, so that’s been really positive.”

For more of Agag’s responses to the fans, you can check out the videos below:

F-E will stage the second round of the 2014-2015 season at Putrajaya, Malaysia on November 22. Here’s what happened earlier this month during the series’ official debut in Beijing.