A few quick news and noteworthy items heading into the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend:
- Lewis Hamilton has never won at Suzuka, one of only four current circuits on the calendar he hasn’t. The others? Austria, Russia, and Brazil – and of those three only Brazil has he had multiple Grands Prix. Hamilton won at Fuji in 2007. A third place in 2009 marks his only podium here.
- Nico Rosberg has never finished on the podium in Japan. A fifth in 2009, with Williams, marks his best result at the track.
- This will be the 26th Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.
- Sebastian Vettel has won four of the last five Japanese Grands Prix at Suzuka since the race returned in 2009, which mirrors the best run of results achieved here by countryman Michael Schumacher, who also won four of five from 2000 through 2004.
- Schumacher’s 2004 win is the last win by Ferrari at this circuit.
- Since 1994, over the last 20 years, Schumacher (six) and Vettel (four) have half the Japanese Grand Prix victories.
More here from the official Formula One website.