Marko: Life goes on at Red Bull following Vettel’s departure

2 Comments

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has said that Sebastian Vettel’s split from the team has been an amicable one as the four-time world champion looks for new motivation with Ferrari in 2015.

In a surprise announcement on Saturday morning at Suzuka, Red Bull confirmed that Vettel will be leaving the team at the end of the season, with Christian Horner saying that he will be racing for Ferrari next year despite there being no official announcement.

Red Bull has been central to Vettel’s career and success, with the German driver first enjoying ties with the brand back in 1999. He has claimed all of his 39 grand prix victories with a Red Bull-backed team, not to mention his four F1 world titles between 2010 and 2013.

However, Vettel is now looking for a new challenge with Ferrari, and Marko is not looking to dwell on the matter.

“I’m not sad because we had a fantastic time, we had some fantastic success,” he said. “We discussed it. He’s looking for new motivation for new challenges so life goes on.

“And it was no problem, we decided immediately to take [Daniil] Kvyat and hope to repeat the story with another junior from us.”

After just one season in F1, Kvyat has the opportunity of a lifetime with Red Bull in 2015, where he will race alongside Daniel Ricciardo.

The news came as a surprise to much of the F1 paddock, with the first inklings of unrest at Red Bull only coming in the last few weeks. Marko confirmed that the calls were taken by the driver and the team over the past few days, with Vettel informing Red Bull of his final decision last night.

“In the last couple of days the whole thing happened,” Marko said. “But we split it amicably, you know. There’s no bad feeling either on our side or on his side.”

Supercross: Talon Hawkins to debut in Houston in relief of Jalek Swoll

Hawkins Supercross
Husqvarnamotorcyclesusa Instagram
0 Comments

Talon Hawkins, 19, will make his Monster Energy Supercross debut on a 250 this week in Houston, Texas as a fill-in rider for Jalek Swoll.

During the Anaheim 2 weekend, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna team announced Swoll underwent successful surgery to repair a broken arm suffered in a practice crash.

That same weekend, Hawkins made some noise. He took the lead from teammate Casey Cohran on Lap 2 of the 250 SX Futures Main and led for three laps before he was overtaken by eventual winner Daxton Bennick. Cochran also got around him to push Hawkins to third.

This will not be Hawkins SuperMotocross professional debut, however; he made three Lucas Oil Pro Motocross starts last year with results of 19th at Spring Creek in Millville, Minnesota, 27th at Ironman in Crawfordsville, Indiana and a best finish of 17th in the season finale at Fox Raceway in Pala, California.

Hawkins also has a top-10 finish in the 125 All-Star division at Pala in 2019 riding a Husqvarna.

Speaking with RacerXOnline.com before the Loretta Lynn Amateur Nationals, Hawkins predicted his future with Husqvarna would come down to how he performed in that race.

“It all just comes down to how I perform at Loretta’s,” Hawkins said. “Say I do really well, I get a top three in both classes and do a pretty solid job, I would like to go pro and just kind of finish out the rest of the series. But there’s also the option of waiting a little bit longer, going back out to [Aldon] Baker’s [Factory] or going anywhere and training, and just being prepared. I’m also open to that too. Honestly, it’s whatever the team wants. Whatever we think is the best option is what we’re going to go with. So, I don’t really have a plan right now, just looking into the future.”

Hawkins finished third overall in the 125 B/C and Schoolboy divisions at the Loretta Lynn Amateur Nationals.