Not much time for Toyota teams to try 2015 Camry before testing ban starts

2 Comments

Toyota will become the first of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ three manufacturers to update its Generation-6 machine next year with the 2015 Camry.

But something else is coming even sooner: A NASCAR ban on private team testing that begins following next month’s season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

During today’s unveiling of the new Camry at Charlotte Motor Speedway, TRD vice president of chassis development Andy Graves said that the car would hit the track at some point before the teams come to Daytona in February 2015 for Speedweeks.

Thanks to the ban, that leaves a little more than one month for Toyota teams Joe Gibbs Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing to sample the new car.

But with JGR still having all three of its drivers – Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, and Matt Kenseth – in this year’s Chase, it would seem that they’ll want to devote their energy toward the championship for as long as they’re in it.

“Our whole focus is on right now with where we are with the Chase and everything,” team owner Joe Gibbs said today according to Bob Pockrass of the Sporting News. “I can’t see us being able to do much.”

Depending on how long Busch, Hamlin, and Kenseth can last in the post-season, MWR may wind up handling a good portion of the 2015 Camry’s testing in the weeks ahead.

Neither of MWR’s drivers, Clint Bowyer and Brian Vickers, are involved in the Chase.

“We’ll be at Nashville and things like that,” Bowyer said to Pockrass. “We have [Goodyear test at] Auto Club Speedway, we have a Phoenix test coming up. We’ve got opportunities to get in this race car.”

Marvin Musquin to miss entire 2020 Supercross season

Feld Entertainment Inc
Leave a comment

On Friday, Marvin Musquin announced on Instagram he will miss the entire 2020 Supercross season with a knee injury.

The injury was sustained earlier this week in a practice crash at the KTM test track when he overjumped an obstacle and landed hard.

It’s “not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys,” Musquin wrote. “I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee.”

I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races.”

Last year, Musquin sustained another knee injury in November that threatened his 2019 Supercross season. He was able to ride in the Anaheim 1 event and finished in the top 10. Musquin improved throughout the season, winning two races and finishing third in the points after making a determined charge.

Musquin missed the 2011 and 2014 Supercross seasons with ACL injuries.

View this post on Instagram

Not the kind of news I’m excited to share with you guys… I was really happy to be back on the bike riding after being injured at the end of the Motocross season and starting to train for Supercross. Unfortunately, I had an incident at the KTM test track and ultimately over-jumped a jump that had a very big impact on my legs when I landed, injuring my left knee. I had it evaluated by several doctors and it was determined that my knee required surgery. It’s devastating news to me as I was really looking forward to racing Supercross, but I will take the time needed to recover properly with my main focus being to return when I am strong enough to win races. A big thanks to my team @ktmusa for supporting me in this tough time. I feel terribly sorry for them and all my sponsors for not being able to represent them on the track for the 2020 AMA SX season. But we will be back 👊🏼

A post shared by #Marvin Musquin #25 (@marvinmusquin25) on