Chaz Mostert, Paul Morris claim crazy Bathurst 1000 win

1 Comment

A fuel gamble came up short for Jamie Whincup, and a potential win at the 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 went out the window right with it.

Whincup, who co-drove with Paul Dumbrell in the No. 1 Red Bull Racing Australia Holden Commodore, was poised to capture his fifth Bathurst victory but ran out in the final couple of laps.

It promoted the odd couple of Chaz Mostert, 22 and Paul Morris, 46, in the No. 6 Ford Pepsi Max Crew Ford Falcon to the lead and the overall win for the marquee event of the Australian V8 Supercars season.

In one of the best post-race quotes you’ll ever read, Mostert said about Whincup’s fuel struggles, via the official V8SC website: “I kept screaming in the cockpit – cough you bastard, cough.”

He added, “I never even thought I would get into the top 10. It’s fantastic. Who would know that we would go from 25th to first!”

The pair started, as mentioned, 25th and last in the field but over the course of the near-eight hour, 161-lap and 1,000-kilometer race, survived as chaos seemingly occurred from all other places at Mount Panorama.

There was a red flag that lasted more than an hour to fix the track surface.

There were multiple accidents – including the pairing of James Moffat and Taz Douglas, twice, who in neither instance sustained enough damage to knock the No. 360 Norton Hornets Nissan Altima from contention (they still finished second).

There was a stall from then-leader Shane van Gisbergen, sharing with Jonathan Webb in the No. 97 Team TEKNO V.I.P. Petfoods Commodore, on what should have been a routine pit stop.

Lastly there was another surprise podium finisher in Nick Percat and Oliver Gavin, in the No. 222 Heavy Haulage Australia Racing Commodore. Gavin, a regular in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with Corvette Racing stateside, is entered in the PIRTEK Enduro Cup.

More here from the official V8SC website on a crazy day at Bathurst.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will race the No. 3 vs. IndyCar stars in Michigan iRacing

Leave a comment

The invite has been received, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. has another iRacing event on his schedule.

The NASCAR on NBC analyst tweeted Wednesday that he will make his debut in the IndyCar iRacing Challenge with Saturday’s race at Michigan Speedway. The race will be shown live on NBCSN at 2:30 p.m. ET Saturday.

The 2-mile oval was chosen by IndyCar drivers as the third track in the six-race series. Earnhardt heartily endorsed Michigan as a potential iRacing venue Monday along with Daytona and Talladega. Michigan nearly was selected by fans as the opener in the iRacing Challenge.

DRIVE LIKE ANDRETTI: Marco is in for Michigan

REVISED SCHEDULE: IndyCar makes 2020 adjustments

Earnhardt, a longtime avid iRacing fan, had been lobbying since last Thursday that he was interested in racing with IndyCar drivers.

He has driven in the first three races of the eNASCAR Pro Invitational, finishing second to Denny Hamlin in the opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Last year, he attended his first Indianapolis 500, working as an analyst as part of NBC Sports’ inaugural broadcast of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.

“I’d love to do it,” Earnhardt said Monday about joining the IndyCar iRacing Challenge. “I think I’d love to get to know those guys.

“I had such a great time at the Indy 500 last year, and the reception that I received from other drivers there really meant a lot to me. So I know they’re all a lot of great dudes in that series that I already know that I’d love to get to know some of them even better.”

It already has been quite the week for Earnhardt, who was announced Monday as one of 15 nominees for the 2021 NASCAR Hall of Fame.

The field for Saturday’s race at Michigan should include another  NASCAR driver in Jimmie Johnson. The seven-time Cup champion has driven the first two races of the IndyCar iRacing Challenge (and has plans to race IndyCar part time in the future).