Karthikeyan: F1 completely unsustainable for small teams

5 Comments

Former Formula 1 driver Narain Karthikeyan has given his damning opinion on the cost crisis currently engulfing the sport, saying that it is simply too expensive for small teams such as Caterham and Marussia to survive.

Karthikeyan raced for the now-defunct HRT F1 Team between 2011 and 2012, taking part in its final grand prix at the end of the 2012 season and working amid the steady demise of the operation in Spain.

Following today’s news that both Caterham and Marussia will not be racing at the United States Grand Prix due to financial problems, Karthikeyan took to Twitter to make his feelings known.

“F1 is just too expensive and completely unsustainable for minnows,” he wrote. “First HRT, now Caterham/Marussia – has been waiting to happen ever since 2010.”

Karthikeyan also believes that their absences will not be felt by the bigger teams in F1, who will simply race on in Austin as usual.

“18 cars in Austin for next GP but sadly no one will miss the absentees, once the opening lap is completed without incidents. That’s the truth.”

As a man who raced in the dying stages of both HRT and Jordan Grand Prix in 2005, Karthikeyan is well-placed to comment on the situation that both Caterham and Marussia are currently facing.

Although his summation may seem cynical, there is a good element of truth to it. So long as the rich continue to get richer and excel at the front of the field in F1, they will care little for the exploits of the minnows fighting to survive at the very back.

Fernando Alonso will decide this summer whether to pursue F1 again

Leave a comment

Fernando Alonso said he will determine by this summer if he would consider a return to Formula One next season.

After announcing Tuesday that he will return to Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May with Arrow McLaren Racing SP, Alonso said “right now the Indy 500 will take all of my concentration” but left the door open for F1 in 2021.

“In my case, probably during the summer period, I’ll make a decision on 2021 if Formula One is still appealing to me,” Alonso told IndyCar on NBC announcer Leigh Diffey in an interview (watch the video above). “The 2021 rules (in F1) are definitely a step forward, and hopefully things can be more mixed and not only three teams capable of winning races. So all this factors into play. I may consider that possibility.”

Alonso won consecutive Formula One championships in 2005-06 with Renault. He has 32 victories in an F1 career that started in 2001 and also includes stints at Ferrari and McLaren.

His last victory on the circuit was May 12, 2013 in Barcelona. He is winless in his most recent 110 starts, including the past 77 races with McLaren in 2015-18.

The Guardian recently reported that McLaren CEO Zak Brown said Alonso wouldn’t be returning to F1 with the team.

Alonso also told Diffey that returning to F1 from a two-season absence wouldn’t necessarily be linked to McLaren’s performance.

“I think they did well last year, and hopefully they make another step forward and close to the top three because they deserve it and are a fantastic team,” he said.

Though he is optimistic about more parity, Alonso said six-time champion Lewis Hamilton should be a favorite for the 2020 title based on preseason testing in which Mercedes turned heads with a new steering system.

“It seemed Mercedes is still quite competitive,” Alonso said. “They show enormous potential on the development side and on the progress from one year to next. Formula One is impossible to predict because many things happen in season.

“At the starting point, (Mercedes) are the favorites. When you have Lewis in the car and Mercedes with the potential they have, they have to be No. 1 probably.”