NASCAR: Brandon Jones to run for RCR part-time in 2015 XFINITY Series season

Leave a comment

17-year-old NASCAR K&N Pro Series East driver Brandon Jones has secured a part-time seat for 2015 with Richard Childress Racing and its No. 33 NASCAR XFINITY Series program.

This year, Jones finished fourth in the K&N East standings on the strength of one win at Iowa Speedway, five Top-5s, and 11 Top-10 finishes.

He has also run select events in both the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (best finish of fourth at Dover in May) and the ARCA Racing Series, where he won twice at Winchester (Ind.) and Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis.

“This is a great opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to driving RCR cars with ECR Engines next year,” Jones said in a statement. “They are a multi-championship team in the XFINITY Series and I know I have a lot of work and learning ahead of me. I couldn’t think of a better team to race with than RCR.”

Team owner Richard Childress said in his own thoughts that he had been keeping tabs on Jones’ progress for several years and liked what he saw in him as both a driver and a person.

“Adding him to our developmental program and putting him in our No. 33 Chevrolet is a good move for us and his career,” Childress added. “I look forward to seeing his progression next year and welcome him to the RCR family.”

Like it has done this season with the No. 33, RCR said in the release that Jones would share the car in 2015 with other drivers to be named later. Jones will also continue to run limited Truck Series and ARCA schedules.

In 2014, RCR has called upon Cale Conley (11 starts); two of the their Sprint Cup regulars, Paul Menard and Austin Dillon (one start each); and defending Truck Series champion Matt Crafton (one start) to drive the No. 33. Menard won with the car back in June at Michigan International Speedway.

Report: Spencer Pigot out at Ed Carpenter Racing

Joe Skibinski / IndyCar
1 Comment

Spencer Pigot will not return to Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, according to a story Thursday by RACER.com.

The 26-year-old Floridian, who won the 2015 Indy Lights championship, is expected to be replaced in the No. 21 Chevrolet by 2019 Indy Lights runner-up Rinus VeeKay.

“I’m appreciative of the opportunity ECR gave me,” Pigot told RACER.com. “I understand the reasons they had to go in a different direction, and wish them all the best.”

In 56 NTT IndyCar Series starts, Pigot has 15 top 10 finishes, with a best finish of second at Iowa in 2018. He finished 14th in the 2019 point standings.

VeeKay, who tested in an Indy car twice for ECR in 2019, has six wins in 18 Indy Lights starts, including a weekend sweep of the final two rounds of the season at Laguna Seca in September.

A representative from ECR told NBC Sports Thursday that the team currently could not comment on any driver rumors as the team currently does not have any drivers under contract for the 2020 season, although it is presumed that owner/driver Carpenter will return to the No. 20 entry for the oval rounds.

NBC Sports will provide updates on the story once more information becomes available.