Fernando Alonso rejects rumors of McLaren deadline, buying Marussia

3 Comments

Ahead of this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix, Fernando Alonso has once again faced a number of questions about his future as his plans for the 2015 season continue to be widely speculated.

The Spaniard is set to leave Ferrari at the end of the year to make way for four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, with McLaren his apparent destination.

However, Alonso is thought to only want a one-year deal with the team in order to open up the possibility of a move to Mercedes for 2016 if Lewis Hamilton were to fail to extend his contract.

Reports in the British press this week suggested that Alonso had been given a deadline by the team, being told to make a decision before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.

Alonso rejected this story though, as well as another wayward one that suggested he had bought struggling backmarkers Marussia for a dollar.

“I don’t think there is any deadline to do anything,” he explained in Brazil on Thursday. “One week it’s McLaren saying something, last week it was Lotus and Lopez saying he was in talks about me and my future.

“Every day there is a rumour. Even today I read that I had bought Marussia for one dollar. It’s absolutely not true!

“It’s the same thing always, but the most important thing, as I said in Japan, is that two or three months ago I took a decision and followed that decision and direction and hopefully you will know soon.”

In Austin last weekend at the United States Grand Prix, Alonso said that he had an “ambitious plan” that was in the works, suggesting that there could yet be more to his future than just McLaren.

However, as we near the end of the season, Alonso will need to make his decision public sooner or later, even if he does not have a firm deadline to work to.