Team owner Gene Haas had no problem with allowing Kurt Busch to race at Phoenix (VIDEO)

3 Comments

Stewart-Haas Racing’s weekend at Phoenix International Raceway turned out alright in the end as Kevin Harvick won to advance into the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Race.

But things started off rocky for SHR on Friday with the allegations of domestic assault against another of its drivers, Kurt Busch.

“The Outlaw” himself did not comment, but his attorney, Rusty Hardin, said the allegations were a “complete fabrication.”

It must be stressed that Busch has not yet been charged for any crime. As for Busch’s boss, SHR co-owner Gene Haas, he said before yesterday’s Eliminator Round finale at PIR that he had no issues with Busch strapping into the No. 41 Haas Automation Chevy.

“He’ll be in the car until someone else pulls him out,” Haas told a group of reporters. “I’m not pulling him out.”

Haas added that the team would let the Dover (Del.) Police Department conduct its investigation into the allegations and “try not to say anything that would compromise that.”

“We want an unbiased investigation and we’ll see how it all plays out,” he said.

In court documents that were filed this past Wednesday, Busch’s ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, alleged that on Sept. 26 at Dover International Raceway, Busch verbally abused her and then smashed her head three times against the wall inside his motorhome before she escaped to a nearby bus.

Over the weekend, Driscoll’s attorney, Mark Dycio, said in a USA Today report that the reason Driscoll waited as long as she did to file an assault claim was because of a separate custody battle between herself and her ex-husband over her young son, Houston.

While the investigation progresses, Haas doesn’t seem to be worried about potential charges coming against the 2004 Sprint Cup champion.

“The facts I know, I’m not concerned about it,” he said.

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick team up again on NBC’s Indy 500 coverage

Danica Patrick Mike Tirico
Stephen King/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick will return to NBC Sports’ coverage of the Indianapolis 500, which will be broadcast Aug. 23 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC (green flag at 2:30 p.m.).

Tirico and Patrick, who both joined NBC Sports for its inaugural coverage of the event last year, will reprise their roles as host and studio analyst.

One of the most versatile voices in sports, Tirico also hosts NBC Olympics’ primetime coverage, Football Night in America and many other premier events, including hosting on-site at Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier this year for the first-ever IndyCar-NASCAR crossover weekend.

AT THE BRICKYARD: Daily Indy 500 coverage schedule on NBC, NBCSN

He again will be joined during prerace, in-race, and postrace coverage by Patrick, who became the first woman to lead the Indy 500 in 2005 and also was the first female pole-sitter in NASCAR driver.

They will make their debut together duing practice coverage on Aug. 21, on NBCSN.

“My first Indy 500 last year exceeded my very high expectations in every way,” Tirico said in a release. “Although this year’s race will take place under unprecedented circumstances, I can’t wait to get back to Indy. I’m confident that our team at the Brickyard will provide viewers with as exciting a viewing experience as possible. I am also thrilled that Danica Patrick is along for the ride again this year. We had such a great time last May and look forward to bringing Indy home for the viewers again.”

Said Patrick: “The Indianapolis 500 is an event that transcends mainstream and motorsports which is why it’s so special. We are living during a time that if we can bring people together, we should. Even if it’s not physically. I am honored to be back with the NBC Sports team and Mike Tirico. The memories I have from 15 years at IMS hold such a special place in my heart and I can’t wait to make more this year in the booth, or however we are positioned in 2020!”

This will mark NBC Sports’ second season as the exclusive home of the NTT IndyCar Series, including the Indianapolis 500, which will take place in August for the first time ever because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.