John Force in big fight to overtake Matt Hagan for record 17th NHRA Funny Car championship

1 Comment

Drag racing fans will be keyed in to the razor-thin Funny Car championship battle in this weekend’s season-ending and 50th anniversary AutoClub Finals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.

John Force, 65, is going for a record 17th NHRA Funny Car championship, including defending his 2013 title.

Points leader Matt Hagan, meanwhile, is seeking his second Funny Car crown, having previously won the 2011 championship.

Hagan leads Force by a mere 21 points heading into this weekend’s racing action.

“Me and John have been battling it out four years out of the last five of my career, and John has won two, I’ve won one, and I’m planning on winning this one,” Hagan said in an NHRA media release. “I don’t plan on walking away with one championship, I plan on having multiple.

“So I have to dig deep and work hard and do whatever it takes to do that. John brings the best out of me. I’ve got a lot to show and a lot to give and a lot to prove.

“But I think it’s just good racing for the fans. It’s coming right down to Pomona. They’re getting what they paid for, and it’s going to be one hell of a show, and I’m excited to see it myself.”

MORE: Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Andrew Hines (Pro Stock Motorcycle) close to wrapping up NHRA titles

Force, who released crew chief Jimmy Prock three weeks ago, has relied on veteran tuner John Medlen to fill the void since Prock’s departure. Prock has since signed with Don Schumacher Racing.

The main thing, Force said, is to eliminate distractions and focus solely on the job at hand, winning one round after another.

“If you wrap your head up in it, all the things that could go wrong or go right will go through your head, none of that does any good,” said Force, the winningest driver in NHRA history. “I’ve got a good race car and we’re going to give the fans what they want, and that’s a race, and we’re going to entertain them, and at the end the champ will walk away.

“If I start thinking, ‘I’ve got to beat this kid,’ then it starts getting mental. I’ll wait until race morning, Sunday morning, and that’s when I’ll put on game face and I’ll go after Matt Hagan, because I am chasing him.”

MORE: Erica Enders-Stevens ready to become first female NHRA Pro Stock champ

History at Pomona definitely favors Force, who has won 15 times at the Los Angeles County Fairplex facility.

But Hagan and Force have to worry about other drivers who are also within striking distance, including Force’s daughter Courtney, who is 121 points behind Hagan, Tommy Johnson Jr. (148 back) and Force’s son-in-law Robert Hight (150 back).

“It ain’t a race just between me and Hagan,” Force said. “We’ve got to watch anybody he’s got to watch and I’ve got to watch who can take us out. This is going to pack the seats at the Auto Club Raceway for NHRA and Mello Yello. It’s going to be awesome, and that’s what we owe the fans.”

There’s also a personal reason for Force to win yet another championship. This weekend’s race will be the final event for longtime Force sponsors Castrol Oil and Ford Motor Company.

“I want to win this championship for my partner of 29 years, Castrol, and the Ford Motor Company, who’s been with me for 11 years,” Force said. “They’re moving on and I’d like to bring that title home like the others.”

Hagan is hoping to avoid a repeat performance of what happened to him in 2013. He led the points standings for much of the season before Force made an outstanding stretch run during the Countdown for the Championship to come away with his record 16th Funny Car championship.

“We’re driven to go out and get this thing done,” Hagan said. “It’s just kind of one of those deals everybody is kind of silently brewing, hungry, ready to go race this last race.

“I believe in my team and I know that we’ve got the stuff and what it takes to get it done,” Hagan said. “We’re going to have a battle on our hands with John, but we’re not racing John, we’re racing the racetrack and we’re racing our race car.

“As long as we go out there and race as hard as we can and get as much E.T. on that racetrack as we can, it’s going to take care of itself. Like I said, the calmness, it comes from confidence, and the confidence comes from (crew chief) Dickie Venables and knowing that he’s up there making the right calls.”

Because this is the 50th anniversary of what many fans still call the NHRA World Finals, a number of legendary racers will be on hand to meet fans and sign autographs, with several events scheduled for Saturday.

Among those are: Kenny Bernstein, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, “TV” Tommy Ivo, Tom “The Mongoose” McEwen, Ed “The Ace” McCulloch, Shirley “Cha Cha” Muldowney and Don “The Snake” Prudhomme.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Kyle Busch interests McLaren for Indy 500, but team is leaning toward experience

McLaren Indy Kyle Busch
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
1 Comment

With Arrow McLaren SP heavily weighing a fourth car for the Indy 500 next year, Kyle Busch is a candidate but not at the top of the IndyCar team’s list.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown addressed the possibility Wednesday morning during a video news conference with Gavin Ward, the team’s newly named racing director.

“I have not personally spoken with Kyle Busch, but you can read into that that someone else in our organization has,” Brown said. “We want to make sure if we run a fourth car, we’re in the mindset that we want someone that is experienced around the 500. It’s such an important race, and from a going for the championship point of view, we’ve got three drivers that we want to have finish as strong as possible, so if we ran a fourth car, we’d want to be additive, not only for the fourth car itself, but to the three cars and so bringing in someone who’s not done it before potentially doesn’t add that value from an experience point of view.”

Busch will race the No. 8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing next season in NASCAR under a new deal that will allow the two-time Cup Series champion to make his Indy 500 debut. Busch, who had a previous deal to run the Indy 500 nixed by Joe Gibbs Racing, openly courted Chevy IndyCar teams to contact him during his introductory news conference with RCR last month.

After Team Penske (which has given no indications of a fourth car at Indy alongside champion Will Power, Josef Newgarden and Scott McLaughlin), McLaren is the second-best Chevy organization, and it’s fielded an extra Indy 500 car the past two years for Juan Pablo Montoya. The Associated Press reported last month that McLaren was in “serious conversation” about running Busch at Indy with Menards sponsorship.

But with its restructured management, the team is in the midst of significant expansion for 2023. AMSP is adding a third full-time car for 2016 Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi to team with Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist, and a massive new shop also is being built in the Indianapolis area.

“(It’s) not because of him but purely because of experience,” Brown said of Busch. “He’s an awesome talent and would be huge, huge news for the speedway. But yeah, I think everyone is under consideration if we decide to do it, but experience is right at the top of the list as far as what’s going to be the most important to us.”

And it seems likely there will be a veteran joining Rossi, O’Ward and Rosenqvist at the Brickyard.

“A fourth car at the 500 is very much under consideration,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t even want to get ahead of ourselves, but we wouldn’t be ruling out a fourth car in the future on a full-time basis. That definitely wouldn’t be for ’23. But as we expand the team and get into larger facilities and things of that nature, it’s something that Gavin and I have spoken about.

“I think we would be in a position to run a fourth car at the 500 this upcoming year. If we do decide to do that, we’ll make that decision soon for maximum preparation, and I would say we’re open minded to a fourth car in ’24 and beyond and probably will make that decision middle of next year in time to be prepared if we did decide to do that.”

Brown also addressed the future of Alex Palou, who will be racing for Chip Ganassi Racing next season after also signing a deal with McLaren. Though Brown declined to get into specifics about whether Palou had signed a new deal, he confirmed Palou will continue to test “our Formula One car from time to time.

“Everyone has reached an amicable solution,” Brown said. “We’ve now had Alex in our Formula One car as we have Pato. That will continue in the future, which we’re quite excited about. At this point we’re laser-focused on 2023 and glad to have the noise behind us and now just want to put our head down and get on with the job with the three drivers we have.”