Report: Kurt Busch meets with police over assault claims by ex-girlfriend

1 Comment

NASCAR driver Kurt Busch reportedly met Tuesday with Dover (Delaware) Police investigating assault allegations leveled against him by a former girlfriend.

According to a report on Wednesday by The Associated Press, the 36-year-old Busch and his attorney addressed claims by Patricia Driscoll, stemming from an alleged domestic incident that reportedly occurred nearly two months ago during a NASCAR race weekend at Dover International Speedway.

“(Busch) was forthcoming and cooperative and honest,” attorney James Liguori told the AP.

Liguori said that Busch continues to refute allegations made by Driscoll, including her claim that Busch struck her head against a wall inside his motorcoach three times.

The investigation is continuing, Dover Police spokesman Cpl. Mark Hoffman told the AP.

Another attorney working for Busch, Rusty Hardin, issued a statement earlier this month when Driscoll’s allegations first came to light, calling them “a complete fabrication.”

Although no charges have been filed against Busch, Driscoll has alleged that on Sept. 26, Busch was verbally and physically abusive to her. Driscoll also claimed Busch was reportedly despondent because of a poor qualifying effort (22nd place) earlier that day and “he wished he had a gun so that he could kill himself.”

In addition to her allegations, Driscoll has asked for a court order to prevent Busch from contacting her, as well as requesting the driver undergo a psychiatric exam and be evaluated by a domestic violence treatment specialist.

NASCAR chairman/CEO Brian France told reporters last Friday at Homestead-Miami Speedway that the sanctioning body will let the police investigation play out before it would consider whether disciplinary action is warranted against Busch.

“If charges are filed, that will change our equation, and we will look at that,” France said.

Officials from Stewart-Haas Racing, the four-team Sprint Cup organization that Busch recently completed his first season of competition for, have also said they will forego any action against the driver until the police investigation is completed.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski