Button ready to enjoy what could be his final grand prix

2 Comments

ABU DHABI – Jenson Button says that he has enjoyed his race weekend in Abu Dhabi so far despite knowing that it could prove to be his final appearance as a Formula 1 driver after 14 years in the sport.

McLaren is yet to confirm its line up for the 2015 season, but Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso is likely to return to Woking after seven years away, leaving either Button or teammate Kevin Magnussen on the sidelines.

Although Button has more experience, Magnussen only made his debut at the beginning of the season, and is yet to truly prove what he can do in Formula 1 thanks to the troublesome MP4-29 car. Should the Dane get the nod for 2015, it could be Button that is left out in the cold.

McLaren has confirmed that it will be making its driver announcement after December 1st, meaning that Button will not be given a send off if this weekend’s race does prove to be his final race.

However, this does not faze Button. Although the prospect is playing on his mind, he is simply enjoying his racing surrounded by his closest family and friends in Abu Dhabi.

“A lot goes through your head, and it has been for the last few months,” Button said. “When you’re out of the car, you’re unsure how to feel really, but when I drive the car, nothing’s different.

“Of course, in the car compared to out of the car is very different to normal, so I probably enjoy my driving a little bit more because I’m away from all the questions and away from people in the pit lane smiling at me more than normal, or sort of a little unhappy face. It’s a weird situation to be in, it really is, but there you go.

“For me, the important thing is that I enjoy today. Yesterday was a very difficult day for us as a team, but I feel we brought it back. I was little bit disappointed in Q3 because of the traffic issues that we had. Qualified eighth, and hopefully that’s a position we can build on for the race tomorrow. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

“My whole family will be here to enjoy tomorrow with them whatever happens. That’s the most important thing right now.”

Button has recently been tweeting some memories from his career, and posted a picture of his driver room for the weekend that contained pictures of his finest moments in Formula 1. However, he said that this should not be read into too much.

“The pictures that are in my room, that’s a lovely gift from the BBC, stuck on the wall by my lovely physio – nothing to do with me whatsoever,” Button said. “I hope this isn’t my last grand prix, I really do, because I feel I have a lot to give.

“But, of course, there’s something in the back of your mind thinking it possibly could be, so you have to enjoy it as much as you can.

“I’m going to do the best job I can, but off-circuit with family and friends, obviously we talk about things probably more than we would normally. So far I’ve enjoyed this weekend, and it’s great having my family here.”

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.