Former Sprint Cup champion Kurt Busch has been granted a delay on a hearing regarding a protection from abuse petition filed by his ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll.
The Associated Press reports that a Delaware family court commissioner agreed to the request from Busch’s attorney, who asked for the delay in court papers filed last Friday.
Hardin said that Busch is to participate in a rally race in Italy and that his return flight was on Dec. 2, the original day of the hearing. Thus, the hearing has now been moved to Dec. 16.
The AP adds that the postponement was granted over objections from Driscoll’s attorney, who said that his client wanted a no-contact order against Busch entered as soon as possible.
The family court matter is separate from the ongoing investigation by the Dover (Del.) Police Department into allegations of assault against the Stewart-Haas Racing driver.
In court documents, Driscoll has asserted that Busch slammed her head three times against the wall of his motorhome on Sept. 26 at Dover International Speedway.
Busch’s attorney has denied those claims, and NASCAR has said it would not comment on the situation while the investigation continues. Last week, it was reported that Busch had met with the Dover police to address the allegations against him.
The new hearing date is two days after Busch’s scheduled appearance at the Race of Champions at Bushy Park in Barbados.