NASCAR: Brad Keselowski’s Truck Series team lost $1 million in 2014

3 Comments

Brad Keselowski’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series squad took the series championship down to the final race of the 2014 season.

But that didn’t cushion the team from taking a big financial hit.

In an interview last night during the ongoing Motorsports Marketing Forum in Las Vegas, Keselowski revealed that his Brad Keselowski Racing team lost $1 million this past year – which saw Ryan Blaney run full time in BKR’s No. 29 Ford F-150 and Tyler Reddick run a majority of events in the sister No. 19 Ford.

Keselowski himself ran three Truck Series events, taking a win at Bristol. It can be argued that he could help BKR’s finances by taking part in more events himself, which would likely draw more sponsors.

But the former Cup champion said it would go against his central belief of re-investing in the sport.

“I refuse to run more than [three races],’’ Keselowski told Motor Racing Network’s Dustin Long. “That’s my breaking point. It’s about feeling right about my level of involvement. I don’t want to run 10 races and the question becomes ‘What am I doing here? Am I doing this because I want to win races as a driver or I want to win races as an owner?’

“If I’m doing it to just to win races as a driver, quite honestly, it doesn’t make any sense because essentially I’m paying to win a Truck race or to run a Truck race. Why would I want to do that? That’s not reinvesting in the sport.”

Keselowski certainly understands how tough it can be for a race team. In his early years, he ran for his own family’s Truck Series outfit from 2004 to early 2006, when it was forced to shut down due to lack of funds.

Still, he feels that giving back to the sport is important enough to continue operating BKR despite the losses.

But he admits that it’s a delicate balance to keep the team competitive in the Truck Series without running it into the ground.

“…I’d love to be able to have my Trucks in the wind tunnel every week, and I’d love to be able to have a bunch of things for competition that it’s going to take, but it would just run the business broke,” he added. “I’m not interested in being involved in the Truck Series if I don’t feel like we can be competitive.

“My breaking point is two areas – it’s going broke and not being competitive. We have to walk that line every day with every decision we make.”

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick team up again on NBC’s Indy 500 coverage

Danica Patrick Mike Tirico
Stephen King/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick will return to NBC Sports’ coverage of the Indianapolis 500, which will be broadcast Aug. 23 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC (green flag at 2:30 p.m.).

Tirico and Patrick, who both joined NBC Sports for its inaugural coverage of the event last year, will reprise their roles as host and studio analyst.

One of the most versatile voices in sports, Tirico also hosts NBC Olympics’ primetime coverage, Football Night in America and many other premier events, including hosting on-site at Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier this year for the first-ever IndyCar-NASCAR crossover weekend.

AT THE BRICKYARD: Daily Indy 500 coverage schedule on NBC, NBCSN

He again will be joined during prerace, in-race, and postrace coverage by Patrick, who became the first woman to lead the Indy 500 in 2005 and also was the first female pole-sitter in NASCAR driver.

They will make their debut together duing practice coverage on Aug. 21, on NBCSN.

“My first Indy 500 last year exceeded my very high expectations in every way,” Tirico said in a release. “Although this year’s race will take place under unprecedented circumstances, I can’t wait to get back to Indy. I’m confident that our team at the Brickyard will provide viewers with as exciting a viewing experience as possible. I am also thrilled that Danica Patrick is along for the ride again this year. We had such a great time last May and look forward to bringing Indy home for the viewers again.”

Said Patrick: “The Indianapolis 500 is an event that transcends mainstream and motorsports which is why it’s so special. We are living during a time that if we can bring people together, we should. Even if it’s not physically. I am honored to be back with the NBC Sports team and Mike Tirico. The memories I have from 15 years at IMS hold such a special place in my heart and I can’t wait to make more this year in the booth, or however we are positioned in 2020!”

This will mark NBC Sports’ second season as the exclusive home of the NTT IndyCar Series, including the Indianapolis 500, which will take place in August for the first time ever because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.