Formula E: Salvador Duran subbing for Katherine Legge in Uruguay

Leave a comment

Mexican road racing veteran Salvador Duran has gotten the call to fill in for Katherine Legge at Amlin Aguri in this coming Saturday’s FIA Formula E event at Punta del Este, Uruguay.

Duran has previously competed in a variety of open-wheel leagues (A1GP, Formula Renault 3.5, British F3), and helped Chip Ganassi Racing win the 2007 Rolex 24 at Daytona with teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Scott Pruett. He has also raced stock cars in the NASCAR Toyota (Mexico) Series.

Amlin Aguri reports that a date conflict for Legge is the reason behind today’s announcement. Legge is scheduled to take part in a TUDOR United SportsCar Championship test for DeltaWing at Daytona International Speedway.

Legge has also tweeted the following:

Team executive chairman Aguri Suzuki and principal Mark Preston each cited Duran’s past experience in one-make racing divisions as a factor in choosing him to sub in for Legge.

“Salvador is an experienced and talented driver and we’re pleased to have him on the team now that we are moving to the Americas,” said Suzuki in a statement. “Salvador has shown his speed in previous one-make series like Formula Renault 3.5 and A1GP so his knowledge will push the team further.”

Preston added: “Salvador knows what it takes to succeed in a one-make championship and for Amlin Aguri that was a key factor in our decision to bring him in once we knew Katherine would be tied-up elsewhere. Having Salvador together with Antonio shows that we continue to have a strong driver line-up.”

Duran will team up with Antonio Felix da Costa, who finished eighth in his F-E season debut at Round 2 in Malaysia. Legge has had finishes of 15th and 16th so far in 2014.

Dutch Grand Prix becomes fourth Formula 1 race canceled this season

EM VAN DER WAL/ANP/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands — The Dutch Grand Prix became the fourth Formula One race canceled this season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, after organizers decided Thursday they didn’t want to play host to an event without spectators.

It was to be the first Dutch GP since 1985, but F1 wants to start the season with no spectators at races.

“We would like to celebrate this moment, the return of Formula 1 in Zandvoort, together with our racing fans in the Netherlands,” race director Jan Lammers said in a statement. “We ask everyone to be patient. I had to look forward to it for 35 years, so I can wait another year.”

The race in Zandvoort was set for May 3 and initially postponed. Fans who bought tickets can use them next year.

The coastal circuit has been redesigned, with some corners banked to facilitate faster racing.

The other races canceled this year were the season-opening Australian GP on March 15; the Monaco GP on May 24; and the French GP on June 28.

Another six have been postponed.

F1 organizers still hope to reschedule those and hold 15 to 18 races this season, starting in July with back-to-back races at the Austrian GP.