McLaren sets Thursday presser, may finally reveal 2015 drivers

2 Comments

The wait is almost over. Maybe.

McLaren’s long-awaited reveal of its 2015 driver lineup may be coming very soon. Multiple reports this morning are stating that the team has invited members of the press to an “important and exclusive media event” on Thursday at the team’s headquarters in Woking, England.

It’s been a long, drawn-out process for McLaren in trying to cement its 2015 lineup. Leading up to the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last month, the team said it would not make a final decision until at least Dec. 1.

But the delay has gone even further. A board meeting last Thursday failed to produce a lineup, and with its two current drivers, ex-World Champion Jenson Button and young Kevin Magnussen, having been in career limbo for some time now, the team’s taken a noticeable amount of criticism from fans and the media.

Adding to the matter is the expected return of Fernando Alonso, who competed for McLaren in 2007 and recently completed a five-year run at Ferrari.

“It’s a strange situation, but sometimes in life you find yourself in these difficult situations and you just have to deal with it,” Button said at last weekend’s Autosport Awards in London.

Should Button not get the nod, a future in the World Endurance Championship may be the next step for him after a 15-year career in the Grand Prix circuit that has seen him earn 15 wins, 50 podiums, and the 2009 title.

Meanwhile, Magnussen is coming off an 11th-place finish in the standings after his first season in F1. That said, at 22, he still has a lot to learn and may be better suited to contribute to the long-term future of McLaren.

Hopefully, we won’t have much longer before we finally know who will be suiting up for the team next season.