Dave Allen (pictured, right) has taken over as the new president of Auto Club Speedway, which hosts both NASCAR and the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Allen was previously the vice president of sales and marketing for the two-mile oval outside Los Angeles. In his new role as president, he replaces Gillian Zucker, who recently exited the motorsports arena to become president of business operations for the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers.
Allen will control the entire operations of both ACS and its drag-racing facility, Auto Club Dragway. He will report to John R. Saunders, president of track owner International Speedway Corporation.
“I’m so excited to lead this incredible group of professionals here at Auto Club Speedway,” said Allen in a statement. “Southern California is known for its strong car culture and racing history and I look forward to building on those traditions with the help of our staff and amazing fans.”
“Dave is a proven leader with a strong background and knowledge of the motorsports industry, the Inland Empire/L.A. markets and Auto Club Speedway,” added Saunders. “He brings experience and strong leadership skills needed to help continue to position Auto Club Speedway and motorsports for growth in Southern California.”
Allen has been with the track since 1999, when it was owned by Penske Motorsports and known as California Speedway. He was the track’s senior director of sales and marketing from 2002-2006 before he was elevated to vice president status, and in 2008, he and Zucker collaborated on the deal that gave the Auto Club of Southern California its current naming rights on the facility.
ACS hosts an annual NASCAR Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series weekend in March, and will host the Verizon IndyCar Series in late June 2015 after serving as site for IndyCar’s season finale from 2012-2014.
ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).
“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.
“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”
For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.
“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.
“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”
Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.
“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.