One of the more popular attractions on the NASCAR midway, the Sprint Experience, may have made its last appearance at NASCAR tracks across the country, according to a report by The Charlotte Observer.
Reportedly confirmed by “multiple sources,” the Observer report would seem to indicate the Sprint Experience is the first casualty of Wednesday’s announcement that Sprint will cease as entitlement sponsor for the Sprint Cup Series after the 2016 season.
The Sprint Experience was a 15,000-square-foot enclosed display area that featured numerous interactive elements, games, driver/celebrity appearances, as well as showcased a variety of Sprint products.
The Observer report said that those workers associated with the rolling display that appeared at every Sprint Cup race weekend were told earlier this week that the Experience would not be in effect in 2015.
Sprint officials declined to comment on the report, the Observer said, but did issue a broader statement about the company’s plans for the next two seasons.
“We will continue to use the NASCAR Sprint Cup sponsorship platform in 2015 and 2016 to drive our business,” spokesperson Kimberly Meesters told the Observer. “Every season we evaluate our specific NASCAR programs and adjust as needed.
“We are finalizing the details of our 2015 plan now and will be ready to kick off the season Feb. 14 for the Sprint Unlimited at Daytona.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski