Hendrick, Childress, Ganassi, Pruett among nominees for Motorsports Hall of Fame of America induction

Leave a comment

Seven icons from the world of motorsports will be named to the 2015 Motorsports Hall of Fame of America induction class on Friday, prior to the start of the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway.

The 27th annual MHFA induction ceremony will take place June 18 at the Fillmore Theater in Detroit.

Here’s the list of those eligible and what class of motorsport they’re from:

NASCAR: Championship owners Richard Childress, Rick Hendrick and Jack Roush, two-time Cup champ Terry Labonte, Davey Allison and veteran driver Mark Martin.

NHRA drag racing: Six-time Pro Stock champion Warren Johnson, longtime announcer Dave McClelland, Funny Car pioneers Paula Murphy and Gene Snow, Strange Engineering’s boss Bob Stange, and Tom Hoover, father of the Chrysler 426 Hemi.

Open-Wheel: Veteran driver and race official Wally Dallenbach, nine-time IndyCar Series team owner Chip Ganassi, championship team owner Carl Haas, safety pioneer and innovative designer Ted Halibrand, three-time Indianapolis 500 winning team owner Pat Patrick and veteran Indy 500 competitor Lloyd Ruby.

Sports Car Racing: team owner Rob Dyson, four-time Trans Am champ Tommy Kendall, racer/broadcaster Sam Posey, five-time 24 Hours of Daytona champ Scott Pruett, Scarab designer/builder Phil Remington and driver/founder of the “Group 44” teams, Bob Tullius.

Motorcycles: 15-time AMA Grand National race winner Everett Brashear, 10-time Motocross champ Ricky Carmichael, dirt track racer Neil Keen, three-time Daytona 200 winner Dick Klamfoth and two-time World Superbike champ Fred Merkel.

Historic Category: 1950 AAA National Champion Henry Banks, first NASCAR champion Red Byron, 1963 Daytona 500 winner Tiny Lund, Michigan racing legend Duke Nalon, mechanic/car builder Ray Nichels and midget/sprint car driver Bob Sweikert.

At Large: “Miss Hurst Golden Shifter” Linda Vaughn, off-road champions Walker Evans and Ivan “Iron Man” Stewart, General Motors Racing’s Herb Fishel, late NASCAR vice president of corporate communications Jim Hunter and auto writer/Cannonball Run founder Brock Yates.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Sergio Perez still has coronavirus; will miss second consecutive F1 race

F1 Sergio Perez out
Laurent Charniaux/Pool via Getty Images
Leave a comment

SILVERSTONE, England — Sergio Perez will be out for a second F1 race at Silverstone this week after again testing positive for the coronavirus.

The Mexican driver had hoped to return to Formula One after spending seven days in quarantine, but his Racing Point team said this morning he had tested positive.

“He is physically well and recovering,” the team said. “The whole team wishes Sergio and his family well and we look forward to his return.”

That means German veteran Nico Hulkenberg again fills in for Sunday’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after having also replaced Sergio Perez when he was out for the F1 British Grand Prix at the same venue last week. Hulkenberg did not start that race because of an engine problem.

There are two consecutive weekends of racing at Silverstone as Formula One tries to pack in races following the pandemic-delayed start to the season.

Perez became the first Formula One driver to test positive for coronavirus, and it had been unclear whether he would be available to drive after the period of quarantine was extended to 10 days.

Racing Point also was in the news Friday after being hit with a 15-point penalty in the Formula One constructors’ championship and fined 400,000 euros ($470,000) Friday for using brake ducts based on those from last year’s Mercedes cars.

The stewards ruled that Mercedes was the “principal designer” of the parts, and that Racing Point made only minor changes to computer design data it received from Mercedes.

Rival team Renault filed protests about the legality of the brake ducts, which were added to the “listed parts” under F1 rules for 2020. That means teams must design their own. Racing Point argued it was merely using information about the Mercedes parts to inform its own design.

Racing Point uses customer engines from Mercedes and has admitted basing its 2020 car design on photographs of last year’s Mercedes car. The similarities led to the Racing Point being nicknamed the “pink Mercedes” when it was first seen in testing ahead of the season.

Racing Point can appeal the ruling. The points deduction drops the team from fifth to sixth in the standings, below Renault. The ruling doesn’t affect the points totals for Racing Point’s drivers.