Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’

2 Comments

Would Jeff Gordon trade his helmet for a headset after exiting his No. 24 Chevrolet after the 2015 Sprint Cup Season?

The four-time series champion said Friday morning he would consider a career as a TV analyst in NASCAR after he leaves full-time competition this year.

“I love the sport,” Gordon said during an interview with “The Morning Drive” on SiriusXM Radio’s NASCAR channel. “I’m very passionate about it. I love to critique it. I think I could do a good job with that. I don’t think it’s an easy job. I’ll be honest. I have a lot of respect for those that do it from radio and TV. I’d entertain it.”

Multiple sources have told MotorSportsTalk that Gordon put out feelers to TV networks last year about the possibility of eventually entering the broadcast booth.

It’s become a common transition for several retiring stars with affable personalities. Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty are among many who have become familiar faces as TV analysts. Jeff Burton will become the latest in July when NBC Sports begins its 10-year deal of broadcasting NASCAR Sprint Cup races.

As a frequent guest host on Live! With Kelly and Michael and the only race car driver to host Saturday Night Live (in January 2003), Gordon is a natural in front of the camera.

But Gordon, who hasn’t ruled out racing in myriad series beginning in 2016, said he would be spending the season mulling his next step.

“I don’t know if (TV is) at the top of my list right now,” Gordon said. “Throughout this year, one of the things I have to get acclimated to is actually to have a real job. That’s going to be an adjustment.

“When you’re a race car driver, you’ve got it pretty good. At the Cup level, I’ve had it really good. I’ve been able to do something I enjoy, I’m challenged with, I’m good at. Finding that next thing to do is not going to be like that. I hope it’s something I’m passionate about and love to do, but it’s certainly going to have a different schedule and mindset.”

Even with half the purse and no fans, Indy 500 still has major team value

Indy 500 purse fans
Joe Skibinski / IndyCar
Leave a comment

Even with reportedly half the purse and no fans in attendance, NTT IndyCar Series driver-owner Ed Carpenter believes it remains “absolutely critical” to hold the 104th Indy 500.

“Far and away it’s what makes and breaks our season as teams,” the Ed Carpenter Racing namesake told reporters during a Zoom media availability last week. “It’s the most important event to our partners. It 100 percent sucks not having fans there and not even being able to have the experience with our partners in full being there. But it’s necessary.

“We’ve got to look at all the hard decisions now of what we have to do to be in a position to have fans in 2021. It’s critical for the health of the teams that we have this race to make sure we have teams back here next year. That sounds a little dramatic, but that’s the reality.

HOW TO WATCH THE INDY 500 ON NBCDetails for the Aug. 23 race

DAILY INDY 500 SCHEDULEClick here for all on-track activity in August at Indy

“We live in not only a very volatile world right now, but our industry and motorsport in general, it’s not an easy business to operate. When you lose your marquee event, it’s a lot different than looking at losing Portland on the schedule or Barber. They’re in totally different atmospheres as far as the importance to us and our partners.”

Robin Miller reported on RACER.com that IndyCar and Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Roger Penske told team owners last week the purse for the postponed Indianapolis 500 was slashed from $15 to $7.5 million. Miller reported holding the Aug. 23 race (1 p.m. ET, NBC) would be a $20 million hit to the bottom line.

Carpenter still is supportive of Penske’s “outstanding job” of leading the series through the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Even with a 50 percent purse reduction, the Indy 500 remains the linchpin of teams’ economic viability.

NASCAR CROSSOVER: Cole Pearn already fitting in with ECR

The schedule has taken many hits with the cancellation of races at Barber Motorsports Park, Circuit of the Americas, Detroit, Portland International Raceway, Laguna Seca and Toronto, and another race weekend doubleheader at Mid-Ohio has been indefinitely postponed.

That leaves the 2020 slate at 12 confirmed races of an original 17, which has raised questions about how many races teams need to fulfill sponsor obligations.

“It’s a moving target,” said Carpenter, who announced the U.S. Space Force as a new sponsor for the Indy 500. “I think we’ve been pretty blessed as a team with the level of commitment of our partners and their understanding of COVID-19 and the impact on our schedule, our contracts.

“All of it is out of our control, out of the series’ control, the promoter’s control. At the end of the day is there a firm number (of races) I can give? No. But definitely every one that we lose, it does make it harder to continue having those conversations.

I think everyone’s as confident as you can be right now with what we have in front of us with what’s remaining on the schedule. Things are so fluid, it changes day-to-day, let alone week-to-week. We just have to take it as it comes. Right now the focus is on the 500 and maximizing this month to the best we possibly can given the situation.”

That’ll be hard this month for Carpenter, who grew up in Indianapolis and is the stepson of Tony George, whose family owned Indianapolis Motor Speedway for decades.

Having spent a lifetime around the Brickyard, Carpenter will feel the ache of missing fans as he races in his 17th Indy 500.

Ed Carpenter, shown racing his No. 20 Dallara-Chevrolet at Iowa Speedway last month, led a race-high 65 laps and finished second in the 2018 Indy 500 (Chris Jones/IndyCar).

“Over that time you develop relationships that are centered around standing outside of your garage in Gasoline Alley,” he said. “It stinks, it sucks that we don’t get to share that passion we all have that is the Indianapolis 500. Unfortunately it’s the reality we’re in right now.

I think this is the best that we can do unfortunately. Without a doubt it’s going to be a different environment. You’re going to be missing the sounds and a lot of the sights and colors. For sure I’ve thought about it. It’s going to be a different morning, different lead-in to the race. After 16 of them, you have a cadence and anticipation for the buildup. That’s all going to be different this year.

“I’m confident it’s not going to affect the type of show we put on or the excitement and how aggressive we are fighting for an Indy 500 win. It’s still going to mean the same thing. We’re just not going to have our fans to celebrate with after the fact. But it’s going to be historic.”