NASCAR: Kyle Busch Motorsports responds to Rick Ren lawsuit

22 Comments

Kyle Busch Motorsports has responded to the recent lawsuit filed by former team competition director Rick Ren according to a report from Bob Pockrass of the Sporting News.

Pockrass writes that as part of KBM’s response to the suit in North Carolina Superior Court, a contract with Ren was filed. The contract says Ren was paid $300,000 his first year (2010), then $325,000 his second year (2011).

On top of that, he got guaranteed bonuses for both of those years and a 10 percent cut on all sponsorships he got for the team.

Following two years under the original deal, Ren signed an extension that paid him $242,500 per year in 2012 and 2013, with a potential $75,000 in bonuses.

KBM released Ren following the 2013 season after the team was forced to shut down its NASCAR XFINITY Series program due to lack of funds. KBM has continued with its program in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Ren alleges that he and his consulting firm are owed $35,000 in bonus money and another $355,000 in commissions from landing a pair of sponsorships for the team – one in 2013 worth $3 million for driver Parker Kligerman and another in 2012 worth $550,000 for driver Brian Scott.

However, per Pockrass, KBM says in its response that Kligerman and Scott got the funding themselves – and all Ren did was take the initial phone calls and then close the deals.

The team also says that those phone calls do not fall under a contract stipulation that says Ren must “procure” the sponsorship to get the commissions.

As for the bonus $35,000, KBM says that’s not applicable due to the bonus structure of Ren’s revised contract that went into effect at the start of the 2012 season.

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick team up again on NBC’s Indy 500 coverage

Danica Patrick Mike Tirico
Stephen King/IndyCar
Leave a comment

Mike Tirico and Danica Patrick will return to NBC Sports’ coverage of the Indianapolis 500, which will be broadcast Aug. 23 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC (green flag at 2:30 p.m.).

Tirico and Patrick, who both joined NBC Sports for its inaugural coverage of the event last year, will reprise their roles as host and studio analyst.

One of the most versatile voices in sports, Tirico also hosts NBC Olympics’ primetime coverage, Football Night in America and many other premier events, including hosting on-site at Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier this year for the first-ever IndyCar-NASCAR crossover weekend.

AT THE BRICKYARD: Daily Indy 500 coverage schedule on NBC, NBCSN

He again will be joined during prerace, in-race, and postrace coverage by Patrick, who became the first woman to lead the Indy 500 in 2005 and also was the first female pole-sitter in NASCAR driver.

They will make their debut together duing practice coverage on Aug. 21, on NBCSN.

“My first Indy 500 last year exceeded my very high expectations in every way,” Tirico said in a release. “Although this year’s race will take place under unprecedented circumstances, I can’t wait to get back to Indy. I’m confident that our team at the Brickyard will provide viewers with as exciting a viewing experience as possible. I am also thrilled that Danica Patrick is along for the ride again this year. We had such a great time last May and look forward to bringing Indy home for the viewers again.”

Said Patrick: “The Indianapolis 500 is an event that transcends mainstream and motorsports which is why it’s so special. We are living during a time that if we can bring people together, we should. Even if it’s not physically. I am honored to be back with the NBC Sports team and Mike Tirico. The memories I have from 15 years at IMS hold such a special place in my heart and I can’t wait to make more this year in the booth, or however we are positioned in 2020!”

This will mark NBC Sports’ second season as the exclusive home of the NTT IndyCar Series, including the Indianapolis 500, which will take place in August for the first time ever because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.