Kurt Busch reasserts what he said about ex: “What I said was under oath”

Leave a comment

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Kurt Busch didn’t back down Tuesday from his testimony about ex-girlfirend Patricia Driscoll but said he didn’t know when a decision would be made in the protective hearing case.

Busch has been a part of national headlines after testifying earlier this month that he believed Driscoll was a trained assassin. He also stated that she repeatedly asserted she was and claimed the work took her on missions across Central and South American and Africa.

Busch reasserted his claim Tuesday: “What I said was under oath.’’

Busch was not as definitive on other matters during the NASCAR Sprint Cup media tour. Dover Police have investigated a claim of domestic abuse by Busch against Driscoll and submitted the report to the state’s attorney general. No decision has been made if to seek charges against Busch. The protective hearing against Busch was held in December and earlier this month and is awaiting a judge’s decision. A decision is expected any time.

“We just have to wait on the decision from the Dover Police department and the investigation that is still ongoing,’’ Busch said. “We’ll see how that all turns out.’’

NASCAR has not reacted against Busch.

“We’re continuing to monitor the situation with Kurt, and we’re going to let the facts play out,’’ said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president, echoing comments NASCAR Chairman Brian France has said since November.

Car owner Gene Haas defended Busch and said the team does not have a contingency plan to replace him.

Driscoll described Busch as alcoholic and depressed in court testimony. Haas questioned that characterization.

“Every time I’ve been with Kurt Busch at dinner I’ve never seen him drink,” Haas said. “I never saw that personally. I think he’s a stable person, he’s a fun person to be around.’’

MotoGP champion Marc Marquez has second surgery on fractured arm

MotoGP Marc Marquez second surgery
JAVIER SORIANO/AFP via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Defending MotoGP series champion Marc Marquez underwent a second surgery Monday after a titanium plate inserted in his fractured right arm sustained damage. The Repsol Honda Team said in a statement that it’ll be two days before the recovery period is determined.

Marquez was injured during a crash in the July 19 season opener. He underwent an initial surgery July 21 in Barcelona, and doctors said there was no nerve damage.

The eight-time champion was cleared to race in the season’s second event Jerez. But Marquez decided to skip the July 26 race after experiencing discomfort while riding the No. 93 bike in a July 25 practice.

MOTOGP ON NBCHow to watch the 2020 season

He had planned to race in Sunday’s grand prix at the Automotodrom Brno in the Czech Republic in hopes of returning to defend his title. His status for Sunday apparently will be unclear until at least Wednesday.

In a statement Monday, the team said the titanium plate in Marquez’s right arm successfully was replaced after stress accumulation. Marquez will stay in the hospital for two days recovering.

Dr Xavier Mir, who performed the surgery at the Hospital Universitari Dexeus, said in the release that “Marc Marquez underwent surgery 13 days ago and today he returned to the operating room. The first operation was successful, what was not expected was that the plate was insufficient. An accumulation of stress in the operated area has caused the plate to suffer some damage, so today the titanium plate has been removed and replaced by a new fixation.

“The rider has not felt pain during this period. He has always followed the medical advice given and the feeling from his body. Unfortunately, an overstress has caused this issue. Now we have to wait 48 hours to understand the recovery time.”