Magnussen pushing for swift return to a full-time F1 seat

0 Comments

Despite being demoted to a reserve role at McLaren for the 2015 Formula 1 season, Kevin Magnussen is hoping to make the most of his position and push for a swift return to a full-time race seat in the near future.

The Danish driver made his F1 debut for McLaren at the beginning of last season, finishing second in his first race. However, this proved to be the highlight of an otherwise mediocre year that saw him rank 11th in the final standings, and he was eventually dropped to make way for Fernando Alonso at Woking.

Today saw McLaren unveil its 2015 car, the MP4-30, and Magnussen was an integral part of the release, featuring in the official team photos and speaking about his hopes for the coming year.

“Although, naturally, I was disappointed to not be selected for a McLaren-Honda race seat for 2015, I’ve put it behind me and I’m now fully focused on the year ahead,” Magnussen said.

“McLaren-Honda evokes so many great memories in race fans all over the world, and I’m really proud to be a part of this team at the restart of such an important and historic partnership. Our fight back to the front of the grid is our main focus, so it’s going to be down to me to work really hard to develop the MP4-30 and make a real difference to its performance in Fernando’s and Jenson’s hands.”

However, the Dane is aiming to return to a full-time F1 seat in the near future despite not racing this year, hoping that the experience he gains in this reserve role will help his cause.

“My aim is, of course, to return to a Formula 1 race seat as soon as possible,” Magnussen said. “I’ll be giving it 100%, both on track and off it, to build on my last year’s experience, to show what I know I’m capable of, and to reward the McLaren-Honda team’s faith in me by keeping me on board.”

If Magnussen is looking for a return to a full-time seat in 2016, it is unlikely to be with McLaren as both Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button are signed to the team on multi-year deals.

Seats further down the field may be available though, but for the time being, it seems that he will have to make do with becoming the focus of stock TV footage during dull periods of FP1.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.