Veteran NASCAR driver David Starr competed part-time with TriStar Motorsports last year in the Xfinity Series.
Now, he’ll compete with them full-time for the next three seasons as part of a new deal announced today by the team.
Zachry Group will serve as primary sponsor for Starr and his No. 44 Toyota Camry, which will have Greg Conner as crew chief.
“We are looking forward to having David back behind the wheel of one of TriStar Motorsports Toyota Camrys in 2015,” said team owner Mark Smith in a release.“David will be an instrumental part in the continued growth of our team.”
Starr ran 13 Xfinity races last year for TriStar with a top finish of ninth at Talladega. Many of those races saw him drive the same No. 44 car that he’ll now be in every weekend.
Known primarily for his long career in the Camping World Truck Series (where he’s won four races in 317 starts), Starr has never ran a full Xfinity schedule.
The 14 Xfinity events he ran overall in 2014 were the most that he’s done in a single year. Altogether, he’s made 41 starts in NASCAR’s No. 2 national series.
“Words cannot express how excited I am to partner up with Zachry Group for the next three seasons in the NASCAR Xfinity Series,” Starr said in a statement. “It will be an honor and privilege to represent a company with such integrity and commitment to their customers, employees and communities where we work.”
Starr will be teammates with Cale Conley, Blake Koch, and Mike Bliss. Conley joined TriStar last December, while Koch and Bliss were both confirmed to return earlier this month.
Eddie Pardue will be Conley’s crew chief on the No. 14 team. Bruce Cook has the same role for Koch and the No. 8 team, and Paul Clapprood will continue to work with Bliss on the No. 19 team.
The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.
IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.
This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.
INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists
IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.
“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.
“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”
It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.