Report: Haas F1 Team has chosen its chief designer

1 Comment

Haas F1 team has reportedly found the man that will lead the design of its new machines.

Autosport reports that Rob Taylor, ex-chief designer at Red Bull and its predecessor, Jaguar, will take on the same role for the American-based team.

Taylor designed Jaguar’s final two cars for the 2003 and 2004 seasons and then, following the energy drink giant’s purchase of the team, the first Red Bull car known as the RB1.

With the RB1, Red Bull finished seventh in the 2005 constructor’s championship. The car’s best finish was a pair of fourths from David Coulthard (Australia, Nurburgring). Taylor would move on to a job at McLaren the following year.

The Autosport blurb also quotes Haas’ team principal, Guenther Steiner, as ruling out the possibility of running an interim car for testing this year.

“We don’t want to make a car [for testing this year],” Steiner says. “If you make a car for a few months’ time, then by next year it will be old. We want to keep on developing. And all of the parts we will be getting from Ferrari, we will not have them before next year.”

Last week, Gene Haas provided an update on the team’s progress during NASCAR Media Week activities in Charlotte. In addition to stating the amount of personnel at team sites in Kannapolis, North Carolina and around Europe, Haas said a driver selection would take place at the end of this summer.

Ken Roczen signs with HEP Progressive Ecstar Suzuki for 2023

Roczen Progressive Ecstar Suzuki
Align Media
0 Comments

ANAHEIM, California – Ken Roczen will make the move from HRC Honda to H.E.P. Motorsports with the Progressive Ecstar Suzuki team, ending a long and eventful offseason that saw his split from his longstanding team after he committed to running World Supercross (WSX).

“H.E.P. Motorsports is thrilled to announce that the team has signed Ken Roczen as its premier rider for the 2023 season,” the team announced on Instagram. “Former AMA Motocross champion Roczen will be aboard a Suzuki RM-Z450. Roczen, who won his most recent championship on a Suzuki, will be reunited with the brand and bring his exciting style, determination, and grit back to the RM Army.

“Ken Roczen will compete in the upcoming 2023 Supercross and Motocross Championship series which is set to start on January 7 at Anaheim Stadium in Southern California.”

For Roczen, it is a return to the bike of his youth and on which he had some of his greatest professional success.

“This thing has been going on for weeks and weeks and weeks in the making, but there was so much uncertainty,” Roczen told NBC Sports during Monster Energy Supercross Media Sessions. “It was a very unique situation. I just finally signed two nights ago, so it’s really only legit once the ink hits the paper. It’s been in the works for a long time, but there were just a lot of questions and a lot of input from a lot of other teams too.

“Good things take time, and I’m okay with that. I grew up riding Suzuki. Ot’s like a homecoming. It’s a special feeling”

Roczen won the 2016 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on a Suzuki before making the move to Honda. That year he won nine of 12 Nationals and finished no worse than second as he easily outpaced Eli Tomac by 86 points. He finished third in his next Pro Motocross outing in 2018 after sitting out the outdoor season in 2017.

“I am beyond excited to reconnect with Suzuki for the 3rd time in my career. We’ve had a lot of success in the past and I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish together in our future.” Roczen said in the Instagram post.