Following his first test for the team in Jerez last week, Fernando Alonso is feeling a fresh motivation and adrenaline ahead of the new Formula 1 season as he settles into life back at McLaren.
After five unsuccessful years with Ferrari, Alonso – pictured alongside teammate Jenson Button – confirmed at the end of last year that he would be rejoining McLaren for 2015, having raced for the team in the controversial 2007 season.
The Spaniard is still searching for his third world title following his successes with Renault in 2005 and 2006, but in a press conference earlier this week he said that he felt rejuvenated for 2015.
“I am very happy to be part of this new era of the McLaren-Honda partnership,” Alonso said. “I had the honor of being the first in the car on the first day and do the first couple of laps. It is a very challenging time for all of us trying to succeed with this project.”
Honda returns to F1 in 2015 after six years away, exclusively powering McLaren and reforging the successful partnership of the late ’80s and early ’90s. Although the new MP4-30 car did present some expected teething problems, Alonso feels that the team can be gunning for race wins in the not-too-distant future.
“I’m very excited to be part of the McLaren-Honda family,” Alonso said. “After many years in Formula 1 I feel the new motivation and the adrenaline of competing at the maximum level with the best possible team. We will be ready for some victories hopefully soon.”
Alonso will get his next run in the MP4-30 at the second pre-season test in Barcelona, driving for McLaren on the Saturday and Sunday of next week’s test.