Buemi laments lost points in Formula E title fight

Leave a comment

e.dams driver Sebastien Buemi has made no secret of his frustration over the points that he has lost so far in the inaugural FIA Formula E season, believing that he would otherwise be fighting championship leader Lucas di Grassi at the top of the standings.

Buemi currently ranks third in the drivers’ championship, 15 points behind di Grassi. The Frenchman won the third race of the year at Punta del Este in Uruguay, but retirements in Beijing and Buenos Aires have prevented him from posing a stiffer challenge at the top.

Reflecting on the season so far in an interview with the series’ website, Buemi said that he could not be happy with his performance due to these missed opportunities and mistakes he has made.

“I think I cannot really be happy with my season so far as we could have achieved a lot more,” Buemi said. “We have a good car and I have lost too many points.

“You can always look back and blame the driver or the team but I have made some driving errors and that is something quite easy to do in these cars. I could have done better but we are still in the chasing group to win the championship.

However, Buemi remains hopeful of getting in the title fight in the remaining six races, with the next event taking place in Miami on March 14th.

“Lucas is slightly in front but we have a competitive package and if we donโ€™t make mistakes we can have a great chance to fight for the title,” Buemi said. “Right now we need to make sure we do the basics right and we can have a realistic chance.”

In spite of Buemi’s retirements, e.dams does lead the teams’ championship by 11 points thanks to a strong start to the year. In the sister car, Nicolas Prost ranks fourth for in the drivers’ standings, just one point behind his teammate.

Lewis Hamilton receives Daytona 500 invitation from Bubba Wallace

Lewis Hamilton Bubba Wallace
Rudy Carezzevoli/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lewis Hamilton is a fan of the new NASCAR Cup Series team formed by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan to field a car for Bubba Wallace.

Will the six-time Formula One champion also be a fan in person at a NASCAR race in the near future?

Wallace is hoping so.

After Hamilton tweeted his support Tuesday morning about the news of a Hamlin-Jordan-Wallace team making its debut with the 2021 season, Wallace responded with a sly invitation to the Daytona 500.

Much would need to be worked out, starting with how much garage and grandstand access would be afforded for a 2021 season opener that likely would occur during a still ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

But it would seem fitting given that Hamilton and Wallace have been two of the world’s most outspoken Black athletes about the quest for diversity and racial justice. Hamilton recently reaffirmed his commitment to activism after his donning a Breonna Taylor shirt sparked an FIA inquiry.

The idea of Hamilton attending the season opener already had legs, too. The Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 driver has expressed a desire to race the Daytona 500 after he has retired from Formula One.

He was a spectator (with racing legend Mario Andretti) at four-time champion Jeff Gordon’s final Cup race as a full-time in the 2015 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In 2011, Hamilton swapped cars with three-time champion Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen International.

Having rubbed shoulders with other racing greats so often, it only would be fitting if Hamilton — who is one victory from tying Michael Schumacher’s career record and also could tie the F1 record with a seventh championship this season — spent some time with the greatest basketball player of all time.

Jeff Gordon was flanked by Mario Andretti and Lewis Hamilton before the 2015 Cup season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway (Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images).