Mardenborough not giving up on F1 dream despite Nissan LMP1 drive

Leave a comment

Jann Mardenborough has insisted that he is not giving up on his Formula 1 dream despite securing a seat with Nissan’s new LMP1 team for the 2015 FIA World Endurance Championship.

Mardenborough first entered motorsport after winning the 2011 GT Academy competition that takes drivers from their PlayStation console to the race track. He has since raced at the 24 Hours of Le Mans twice and also won a race in last year’s GP3 Series.

The young Briton was confirmed as one of Nissan’s full-time drivers in LMP1 earlier this week, and revealed that he found out back in September at the Italian Grand Prix.

“Darren [Cox, head of brand at Nissan NISMO] told me when we were in the GP3 hospitality area at Monza last year and I was pretty taken aback as I wasn’t expecting him to say that, mainly because I never take anything for granted,” Mardenborough explained.

“Once the news had sunk in I was massively happy and very proud to have been chosen to represent Nissan at the highest level in sports cars. It’s a big honor and I’m delighted to be part of the new team.”

Despite moving away from single-seaters, Mardenborough does not feel that this has put an end to his dream of racing in Formula 1 one day, believing that sports cars could be a stepping stone.

“It’s not, no,” Mardenborough said when asked if his F1 dream was over. “Sports cars are still relevant.

“It has been proved in the past by the likes of Mika Hakkinen, Mark Webber, Michael Schumacher that you can have a career in sports cars and make it in F1. This is just a different route. You learn a lot along the way and it’s all relevant.

“I want to compete in Formula 1. You show me a racing driver who doesn’t want to do that. I also have this burning desire to win outright at the Le Mans 24 Hours. I can’t imagine anything more fulfilling than that.”

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.