Esteban Gutierrez is relishing the possibility of taking part in practice for his home grand prix after Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said that he would consider giving him a run-out in Mexico this November.
Gutierrez took part in a filming day for Ferrari on Tuesday in Barcelona in his first active participation in his reserve role at the team.
The Mexican parted company with Sauber F1 Team after two seasons at the end of 2014, opting to take a step down from a full-time seat so he could gain experience at a bigger team such as Ferrari.
Speaking to the team’s official website following the filming day in Barcelona, Gutierrez said that he was pleased to have finally got back out on track, even if his running was limited to just 100km.
“The impressions are very positive,” Gutierrez said when asked about the new car. “I’ve been with the Scuderia now for a few days. I’ve worked pretty hard in this time I’ve been together with the whole team.
“Watching from the outside during testing in Jerez, obviously as a driver you want to drive what you see and get a taste of what it is. Today was a very special day for me because I could really have this impression of the feeling of the whole car.
“That will be quite important for the correlation. It’s part of my job and part of my role. These little steps are great for me to prepare myself for the future for something big.”
Last week, Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene confirmed that the team would consider giving Gutierrez a run-out during practice for the Mexican Grand Prix in November – a prospect that excites the 23-year-old.
“I am really looking forward [to it],” Gutierrez said. “It’s something we really need to use as an opportunity. It’s great to have a reference.
“I really appreciate that Ferrari is considering this as an option, so I’m getting myself as prepared as possible for that chance.”