One of California’s most prestigious racing awards – the Justice Brothers-Shav Glick Award – has had its 2015 nominees revealed.
The Justice Brothers-Shav Glick Award recognizes motorsports personalities who have made valuable or distinguished contributions to the various types of motorsports in California.
Shav Glick, who passed away in 2007, was a highly respected motorsports writer for the Los Angeles Times and member of the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.
Ed Justice Jr., president and CEO of Justice Brothers, will present the award during the pre-race ceremonies for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 400 race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., on Sunday, March 22.
Nominees for 2015 include Tommy Kendall, a member of the 2015 class of the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America, Hollywood icon and “Le Mans” star Steve McQueen, AMA Motocross and Supercross legend Ricky Johnson, and C.J. “Pappy” Hart, who along with partner Creighton Hunter created what was known as the first commercial drag strip in America on an unused runway at Orange County Airport (now John Wayne Airport).
Safety pioneer Bill Simpson, whose most recent work has gone into helmet design (Simpson Ganassi Helmets, or SG Helmets), was the 2014 recipient of the award.
Jeff Gordon, Mickey Thompson, John Force and Don “The Snake” Prudhomme, Phil Hill & Carroll Shelby are among the recipients in the last decade. The award was first presented to Dan Gurney in 2000.
Porsche will skip Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race with its two GTLM cars at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course after three positive COVID-19 tests were confirmed during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
That resulted in Porsche choosing to pull out of the Nurburgring 24 Hour endurance race in Germany, electing to avoid sending any team members as a precautionary measure.
Porsche Motorsport announced Tuesday that its COVID-19 decision also would apply at Mid-Ohio to its No. 911 and No. 12 teams.
HUSTLING HELIO: Castroneves hunting for 2021 rides in IMSA, IndyCar
Three of Porsche’s four IMSA GTLM drivers — Laurens Vanthoor, Frederic Makowiecki and Nick Tandy — also were racing in Le Mans. The trio has remained isolated in Europe and won’t be allowed to travel.
“Based on yesterday’s decision that no employee or racing driver of our Le Mans team will participate in the Nürburgring 24 Hours, we have today decided that this ruling will also apply to the upcoming IWSC race in Mid-Ohio,” Fritz Enzinger, vice president for Porsche Motorsport, said in a release. “This means that Laurens, Nick and Fred will not be traveling to the USA.
“This is very regrettable, but we would like to emphasize that in this case as well the health of all those concerned is the prime focus of the decisions we have taken.”
The decision also affects Earl Bamber, who teamed with Vanthoor to win the GTLM championship last year in the No. 912.
Porsche said its GTLM Porsche 911 RSR-19 entries will return for the Oct. 10 race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval.
That will reduce the GTLM class to four cars — two Corvettes and two BMWs — this weekend at Mid-Ohio, in what could be somewhat of a 2021 preview. Porsche Motorsport announced earlier this year that it will leave IMSA after the 2020 season because of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.