Manor Marussia “very close” to racing in Australian GP

1 Comment

Former Marussia team principal John Booth is confident that the reborn Manor Marussia F1 Team will take part in next month’s Australian Grand Prix, saying that the team is working round-the-clock to make it a reality.

Yesterday, it was confirmed that the FIA had approved Manor Marussia’s place on the grid in 2015, with Britain’s Will Stevens taking one of its seats.

Marussia F1 Team collapsed following last year’s Russian Grand Prix, entering administration and appearing to have little hope of racing in 2015.

However, thanks to fresh investment, the operation has been saved and will now run under the Manor name in 2015, relying that its new car complies with the technical regulations.

Speaking to the Yorkshire Post in England, Booth said that he felt confident the team would be racing in 2015 with a huge team effort giving it a good chance of happening.

“We are very close to getting to Melbourne,” Booth said. “Everyone is working round-the-clock to make it.

“The cars are coming together well and we are working out of several centres, so I’m confident we will get there.

“We are back at Dinnington and we’re also using a base at Silverstone. The aim is to get everything ready by the end of next week.”

Manor Marussia has been forced to relocate after its factory was sold in an auction last December. NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas is reported to have been the winning bidder, with the plan being to use the Banbury facility as the European base of Haas F1 Team when it debuts in 2016.

With permission from the commercial rights holder, Manor Marussia could miss the first three races of the season and still be able to compete in 2015, giving itself until the Bahrain Grand Prix on April 19 to get its affairs straight.