Monisha Kaltenborn has said that Sauber will do everything in its power to protect its interests in the face of a legal challenge from former reserve driver Giedo van der Garde.
On Thursday, it was revealed that van der Garde was seeking a court injunction to force Sauber into giving him a race seat for the upcoming Australian Grand Prix, believing that the team has breached the terms of his contract.
Van der Garde claims that he signed a contract that ensured him a full-time race seat with the team in 2015, only for Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson to be named as its drivers for the upcoming season.
On Friday, Kaltenborn responded by saying the team would do everything possible to safeguard its interests in Formula 1.
“As this matter is currently before the courts it would be inappropriate for me to comment on specific details,” the Sauber team principal said.
“However, we will take all necessary steps to protect our company, this team and its interests. Last year was a challenging time for us but going into the 2015 season we have been focused on putting steps in place to ensure that we are delivering the best outcomes for F1’s fans.”
Van der Garde’s case will be heard by the Victoria Supreme Court in Melbourne on Monday, with the entry list for next weekend’s Australian Grand Prix set to be finalized on Thursday 12 March.