2013 GP2 champion Fabio Leimer loses Super Formula seat

Leave a comment

2013 GP3 Series champion Fabio Leimer will no longer be racing in the Japanese Super Formula series this season after parting company with Team Infinite Mugen.

Leimer had been due to race in the premier Japanese single seater championship in 2015, having spent the last year working with Pirelli as a test driver and racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship for Rebellion Racing.

However, it was announced on Friday that the Swiss racer would no longer be taking part in Super Formula this season due to financial problems.

“This season, Fabio Leimer had been scheduled to compete in the Super Formula series for Team Infinite,” a statement from the team reads. “[As he is] unable to fulfil the contract terms that had been entered into, we have with regret decided to cancel the driver contract with Mr. Leimer.”

Leimer issued his own statement, and said that the deal fell through due to an issue with his representative in Japan.

“Of course I am extremely disappointed,” Leimer said. “We went for the Japan adventure after we had found a representative in Japan.

“We signaled from the beginning that any budget had to be secured by him. Unfortunately, his promises and the trust placed in him were not tenable.”

“However, we are already working on solutions for the coming season, which we can finance ourselves. I wish the Mugen team every success and apologize for the circumstances which have arisen through us.”

Leimer has no other confirmed plans for the new season, but is a potential candidate for the available seat at Manor Marussia F1 Team, given that he does hold a valid FIA super licence from his GP2 title win.

In other Super Formula news, British youngster William Buller has confirmed his participation in this year’s championship, joining Kondo Racing alongside compatriot James Rossiter.

Juncos Racing to field single car entry in Indy 500

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Part-time NTT IndyCar Series entrant Juncos Racing will announce their attempt to qualify for the 2019 Indianapolis 500 within the next few weeks, according to RACER.

The team, which made its Indy 500 debut in 2017, ran 12 of the 17 IndyCar Series races last season, but has only made a start in one of the four events so far in 2019, finishing 18th in the inaugural running of the IndyCar Classic at Circuit of the Americas with Kyle Kaiser behind the wheel.

Though no driver has yet to be announced for the single-car entry, Kaiser is expected to be the leading candidate for the ride. The 23-year-old Californian has raced for the team since 2014, where he won the 2017 Indy Lights championship.

One of the top teams in the Road to Indy ladder system, Juncos Racing has over 50 wins between Indy Lights and Indy Pro 2000 competition. The team’s most recent victory came in the second Indy Lights race at St. Petersburg this year with Rinus VeeKay behind the wheel.

Follow Michael Eubanks on Twitter