Giedo van der Garde wins court case in Australia

12 Comments

Dutch driver Giedo van der Garde has won his court case in the Supreme Court of Victoria, whereby legally he would be bound to race for Sauber in the season opening Australian Grand Prix.

He was the team’s reserve driver last year, but was left off the driving roster this year. He has since pursued legal action.

The ruling came down today from the Court, via Justice Clyde Croft. Official notice is posted below, and the judgment from the court is linked here:

Melbourne 7 court reporter Kate Jones has also provided a few updates of the case, and how the ruling came down:

Van der Garde told veteran F1 journalist Adam Cooper, via his blog:  “It’s up to them what they are going to do, and up to the team. It’s not my thing. I’m happy that we won the case, and that we stand here. Now I’m looking forward to getting back to business.”

Sauber has now weighed in with a statement from team principal Monisha Kaltenborn, with a note that further details will be published at a later date.

“After the application defended by Sauber on Monday, March 9, the outcome is unfortunately not as expected. Monisha Kaltenborn, CEO and Team Principal of the Sauber F1 Team, said: “We are disappointed with this decision and now need to take time to understand what it means and the impact it will have on the start of our season. What we cannot do is jeopardise the safety of our team, or any other driver on the track, by having an unprepared driver in a car that has now been tailored to our two other assigned drivers.”

https://twitter.com/diegofmejia/status/575447111338164225/photo/1

With this ruling, van der Garde would be set to replace either Marcus Ericsson or Felipe Nasr, who are scheduled to drive this weekend. However, Sauber has appealed, and that will be heard Thursday.

Either driver though could take legal action of their own from here as well.

Per van der Garde’s portion of the contract, the Dutchman would have to uphold it and supply the backing promised to the team.

Clearly this ruling is only the first step in what will be a series of events still to unfold both legally and for the team the rest of this weekend in Australia.

More to follow…

Three-time W Series champ Jamie Chadwick joining Andretti in Indy NXT Series for 2023

3 Comments

Jamie Chadwick, the three-time W Series champion, will drive for Andretti Autosport in the Indy NXT Series next season.

Chadwick will make her debut in an American racing series in March, driving the No. 28 for Andretti Autosport with sponsorship from DHL. The 24-year-old will become the first female driver in 13 years to compete full time in the Indy NXT championship.

Chadwick joined the female free-to-enter W Series in its inaugural 2019 season, winning two races and the first of three consecutive championships. She has been a reserve driver for the Williams Formula One team and will continue in that role in 2023. She also has driven in the Extreme E Series.

Despite her success, Chadwick hasn’t landed a bigger ride in F3 or F2, and her break didn’t come until Michael Andretti contacted her and offered a test in an Indy NXT car.

The final three races of this year’s W Series schedule were canceled when funding fell through, but Chadwick still believes the all-female series was the right path for her.

“W Series has always been and will continue to be an opportunity to be racing for every female driver, so for my side, I looked at it while perhaps I would have liked to step up maybe earlier, at the same time being able to have that chance to race, get that experience, have that development, seat time… I was constantly learning,” Chadwick told The Associated Press.

“In that sense, I wasn’t frustrated at all. But on the flip side of it, now I’ve had that experience testing in the United States in Indy NXT and this is something I’m really excited about.”

Chadwick also is expected to have an enhanced role as a development driver next season with Williams, which chose American driver Logan Sargeant to fill its open seat on next year’s F1 grid.

“Andretti Autosport is proud to be supporting Jamie alongside DHL,” said Michael Andretti. “Jamie’s successful career speaks for itself, but Indy NXT gives Jamie the opportunity to continue her development in a new type of racing.

“We’ve turned out five Indy NXT champions over the years and look forward to continuing our role in developing new talent.”

Indy NXT is the new name of the rebranded Indy Lights Series, the final step on the ladder system before IndyCar.

Andretti will field two drivers next season in IndyCar that were developed in Indy NXT: Kyle Kirkwood, the 2021 champion, will return to Andretti after one season in IndyCar driving for A.J. Foyt Racing, and Devlin DeFrancesco is back for a second season.

Chadwick will be teammates in Indy NXT with Hunter McElrea and Louis Foster. She becomes Andretti’s second full-time female driver alongside Catie Munnings, who competes for Andretti United in the Extreme E Series.