Nurburgring confirms it won’t be hosting German GP

2 Comments

The Nurburgring circuit has confirmed that it cannot host this year’s German Grand Prix, making it likely that the race will not be held at all in 2015.

The race was thrown into uncertainty when F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said that it would be remaining at Hockenheim in 2015, ending its alternation as host with the Nurburgring.

Both circuits had agreed to host the race every other season back in 2007 to avoid making a loss in consecutive years, such are the costs involved with hosting a grand prix.

Hockenheim has maintained for some time that it cannot host the race, and made a final statement earlier this week confirming that it was out of the running.

A spokesman from the Nurburgring explained to MotorSportsTalk that it too would not be able to host the race, and is now seeking another racing event to take place over the July 17-19 weekend.

“We submitted an offer to Mr. Ecclestone but have so far not been able to come to an agreement,” circuit spokesman Pietro Nuvoloni said. “Seeing as no decision has been taken in the past weeks and months, we have come to the conclusion that for reasons of time, organization and economy, it does not make sense to wait any longer.

“The time slot during which it would have been economically viable to host a Formula 1 race at the Nürburgring is now closed. We deeply regret this. We would have liked to welcome the pinnacle of motorsport at the Nürburgring.

“In the interest of planning certainty for all parties involved, however, we have decided to make the July date reserved for Formula 1 available to another organizer.”

The absence of the German Grand Prix is a mystery to some given the recent success of German drivers such as Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel, and the domination of German marque Mercedes in 2014.

However, with attendance figures dwindling in recent years, few can have expected either Hockenheim or the Nurburgring to continue hosting the race if they were guaranteed to make a loss.

Ecclestone has already confirmed that if the race does not go ahead, a replacement will not be sought, meaning that the 2015 calendar is likely to fall back down to 19 races.

Santino Ferrucci will drive No. 14 for AJ Foyt Racing full time in 2023 IndyCar season

Santino Ferrucci AJ Foyt
James Gilbert/Getty Images
0 Comments

Santino Ferrucci will return to full-time racing in the NTT IndyCar Series next season, joining AJ Foyt Racing.

Ferrucci had made eight IndyCar starts with three teams since his last full-time season in 2020 while also racing part time in the NASCAR Xfinity Series this year.

He will drive the storied No. 14 Dallara-Chevrolet for four-time Indy 500 winner A.J. Foyt’s team, which will field the car from its Waller, Texas headquarters.

“It’s incredibly exciting to be back in the INDYCAR Series full time,” Ferrucci said in a team release. “Being a part-time driver over the last two years has been hard for me, personally. I’m a race car driver, and I want to compete. Working with different teams has been exciting, and I’m proud that no matter which car I’ve raced, I’ve always shown speed and consistency. I couldn’t be more excited to join AJ Foyt Racing in the 14 Chevy. I can’t wait to make the best of it.”

Ferrucci, 24, had finished a career-best fourth in IndyCar four times, including the 104th Indy 500 in 2020. He was the 2019 Indy 500 rookie of the year with a sixth.

In nine Xfinity starts since 2021, Ferrucci has a career-best finish of 13th at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

“I am thrilled to welcome Santino to the team,” Larry Foyt said in a release. “He’s shown a knack for getting toward the front of the field, and I think he is a racer who moves forward on race day. A.J. sees the fire in him and has enjoyed their meetings together. I think Santino’s experience will help his rookie teammate as well, so he is a great addition to our roster.”

Ferrucci will be teamed at AJ Foyt Racing with Benjamin Pedersen, who finished fifth in the 2022 Indy Lights standings. The team has yet to specify the number for Pedersen’s entry, which will be fielded out of its Indianapolis race shop.

Foyt’s two full-time drivers last season were Dalton Kellett and Kyle Kirkwood, who is moving to Andretti Autosport.