Alonso’s manager expects Spaniard to return in Malaysia

1 Comment

The manager of McLaren driver Fernando Alonso is confident that the Spaniard will make his F1 comeback at next weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix following a testing accident in February.

Alonso was concussed following a hefty collision with the wall at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in pre-season testing last month, with doctors advising him to miss the season-opening Australian Grand Prix to prevent a repeat incident.

The Spaniard has been back in training ahead of a possible return, completing some laps in the McLaren simulator earlier this week.

Speaking to Spanish newspaper AS, Alonso’s manager Luis Garcia Abad gave an update on his client’s condition and made clear that a return in Malaysia was likely.

“Fernando is well and will pass the medical tests,” Abad said. “Trust that it is a mere formality.”

McLaren is yet to make any official comment about its plans for the race in Sepang, having replaced Alonso with reserve driver Kevin Magnussen for the opening race of the year in Australia.

Regardless of its line-up, the team will be hoping for a better showing next weekend after failing to score any points in Melbourne last Sunday. Magnussen did not even start the race thanks to an issue with his engine, whilst Jenson Button languished down in 11th place as the final finisher at Albert Park.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.