Kvyat chasing quick turnaround in fortunes at Malaysian GP

Leave a comment

Daniil Kvyat has set his sights on a trouble-free weekend at the Malaysian Grand Prix after failing to start last Sunday’s F1 season-opener in Australia due to a gearbox problem.

The race in Melbourne was meant to mark Kvyat’s debut for Red Bull, having joined the team for his sophomore season as a replacement for four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel.

However, the Russian ground to a halt on his installation lap, forcing him to miss the race completely and record the first DNS of his F1 career.

“I think the first weekend was challenging, but we learnt many things,” Kvyat said. “Also for me adapting to a new team was crucial.

“Of course, the race wasn’t as I would’ve liked but it happened this way and now I’m just looking forward to the challenges ahead.”

Kvyat is pleased that the Malaysian Grand Prix has come around so quickly, taking place next Sunday at the Sepang International Circuit.

“It’s good Malaysia is so soon,” Kvyat said. “After Australia, I wanted to leave the weekend behind me as soon as possible and start focusing on Malaysia. We have good potential which we will be looking to use and hope to extract.”

Red Bull’s Paul Monaghan has also confirmed the cause of Kvyat’s stoppage in Melbourne, and has pledged to work to ensure that there is no repeat of the problem.

“After investigating post-race, we found that the reason Daniil’s gearbox overheated and was unable to select a gear on the way to the grid was due to a lack of oil pressure,” Monaghan said.

“As a factory we have been working hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Last year the progress we made from the third test to the first race was significant and one of our strengths is our development rate.

“We have the best team in place to repeat our success and we are working as hard as we can to improve as much as possible ahead of Malaysia.”

Zach Veach splits with Andretti Autosport for rest of IndyCar season

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
1 Comment

Zach Veach will be leaving his Andretti Autosport ride with three races remaining in the season, choosing to explore options after the decision was made he wouldn’t return for 2021.

In a Wednesday release, Andretti Autosport said a replacement driver for the No. 26 Dallara-Honda would be named in the coming days. The NTT IndyCar Series will race Oct. 2-3 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course and then conclude the season Oct. 25 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

Veach was ranked 11th in the points standings through 11 races of his third season with Andretti. Since a fourth in the June 6 season opener at Texas Motor Speedway, he hadn’t finished higher than 14th.

“The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car,” Veach said in the Andretti release. “This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 IndyCar season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.

“This is the hardest decision I have ever made, but to me, racing is about family, and it is my belief that you take care of your family. Andretti Autosport is my family and I feel this is what is best to help us all reach the next step. I will forever be grateful to Michael and the team for all of their support over the years. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a relationship that started many years ago with Road to Indy. I will also be forever grateful to Dan Towriss for his friendship and for the opportunity he and Gainbridge have given me.

“My love for this sport and the people involved is unmeasurable, and I look forward to continuing to be amongst the racing world and fans in 2021.”

Said team owner Michael Andretti: “We first welcomed Zach to the Andretti team back in his USF2000 days and have enjoyed watching him grow and evolve as a racer, and a person. His decision to allow us to use the last few races to explore our 2021 options shows the measure of his character.

“Zach has always placed team and family first, and we’re very happy to have had him as part of ours for so many years. We wish him the best in whatever 2021 may bring and will always consider him a friend.”

Andretti fields five full-time cars for Veach, Alexander Rossi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti and Colton Herta.

It also has fielded James Hinchcliffe in three races this season.