Engine tokens for in-season development confirmed by FIA

3 Comments

Across the course of the Australian Grand Prix weekend, the FIA confirmed how many ‘tokens’ each of the four engine manufacturers in Formula 1 has remaining to use for in-season development in 2015.

Prior to homologating their engines at the beginning of each season, teams are able to spend some of their tokens on improving the power unit that they used at the end of the previous year.

Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault all had 32 tokens to spend on improving parts and developing their engines for the 2015 season, with the majority being used over the winter to make a step up from last year’s showing.

Despite initially being told that it would not be able to develop its engine in-season, Honda – returning to F1 in 2015 as an engine supplier – has been given the average total of engine tokens that the other three manufacturers have left over.

In a short statement released last week, the FIA confirmed the tokens used by Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault over the winter:

Ferrari: 22 of 32 tokens

Mercedes: 25 of 32 tokens

Renault: 20 of 32 tokens

“As a new power unit manufacturer for the 2015 season, Honda has been granted an allowance of nine tokens for in-season development,” the statement read. “This is based on the average of those available to the 2014 power unit manufacturers.”

Therefore, the remaining tokens are as follows:

Ferrari: 10 tokens

Honda: 9 tokens

Mercedes: 7 tokens

Renault: 12 tokens

Given that both Mercedes and Ferrari have made significant steps over the winter with their power units, it is not surprising that both manufacturers have used most of their tokens. Ferrari will be hoping that its current advantage of three tokens could give it an edge in playing catch-up to the dominant Mercedes cars this year.

As for Renault, with over 1/3rd of its tokens remaining, it is perhaps unsurprising that the French supplier has endured a difficult start to the year. Red Bull may be frustrated by the shortcomings of the Renault power unit at the moment, but once the remaining tokens are used, it could yet come back into the picture at the front of the field.

IndyCar teams with NASCAR on IMS road course doubleheader in 2021

IndyCar NASCAR doubleheader 2021
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The NTT IndyCar Series will be sharing Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR Cup Series in a race weekend doubleheader for the second consecutive season, but both series will be on the road course in August 2021.

IMS announced Wednesday that IndyCar will hold an Aug. 14, 2021 race on its 14-turn, 2.439-mile road course. It’ll be a day before NASCAR’s premier series runs the same layout for the first time after the Brickyard 400 was contested on the 2.5-mile oval for the first time in 27 years.

This season’s rescheduling of the IndyCar GMR Grand Prix to July 4, 2019 (a day before the Brickyard 400) led to the first NASCAR-IndyCar doubleheader weekend. The Xfinity Series also raced on the IMS road course for the first time July 4 after the IndyCar race ended.

INDYCAR AT IMS THIS WEEKEND: Harvest GP schedule, entry lists

IndyCar will be holding its second race weekend this year at the IMS road course Friday and Saturday with the Harvest GP.

“Our first NASCAR-INDYCAR weekend was a big success last July, with positive feedback from
our loyal fans who watched the races on NBC and from the drivers, teams and participants
involved,” IMS president Douglas Boles said in a statement. “The Xfinity Series’ debut on the IMS road course provided exactly the kind of thrilling action from the green to checkered flags that we anticipated, so we know the teams and drivers of the Cup Series will put on a great show as they turn left and right for the first time at IMS.

“We can’t wait to welcome back fans to see NASCAR and INDYCAR together during this
exciting weekend as we add another memorable chapter in the long, storied history of the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway.”

It also will mark the first NASCAR Cup-IndyCar doubleheader with a crowd as fans weren’t permitted at IMS in July because of the novel coronvavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Over the course of Wednesday, NASCAR is releasing its 36-race slate for next season. IndyCar has yet to release its full 2021 schedule.