The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will add more SAFER barriers coming out of Turn 2 and driver’s left on the short chute between Turns 3 and 4 before the month of May, track president Doug Boles confirmed to USA Today. Per the report, that’s roughly 1,560 additional feet of barriers.
“We’re so tight to begin with, the likelihood of getting into those (unprotected areas) is really slim and getting into one with any significant speed is even slimmer,” Boles told USA Today’s Brant James. “But we decided that the best thing to do was to add (SAFER) to those two locations.”
IndyCar crashes from exiting Turn 2 have occurred rather frequently in recent years, either where drivers hit the outside wall on corner exit or hit the outside wall and then spin down to the inside. It’s the latter where the SAFER would be installed.
Boles had previously told the Indianapolis Star that they were considering the possibility of additions, in the wake of Kyle Busch’s crash in the NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Daytona to open the 2015 racing season.
IndyCar’s month of May commences with oval testing on May 3, before the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 9 and the 99th Indianapolis 500 on May 24.