Officials at the Sepang International Circuit have confirmed that the Malaysian Grand Prix will remain at the track for another three years following the signing of a contract extension.
The race first debuted on the Formula 1 calendar back in 1999 as the first of the ‘Tilkedrome’ circuits designed by Hermann Tilke, and has remained in the sport ever since despite the constantly changing schedule.
Last month, the chairman of the circuit confirmed that he was seeking a three-year contract extension for the race at Sepang, and in a statement today, it was announced that such a deal had been agreed with the Formula 1 Group.
“The Sepang International Circuit (SIC) today announced that the contract to host the Formula One Malaysia Grand Prix has been extended for another three years until 2018,” a statement read.
“Malaysian Prime Minister, Y.A.B. Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib Tun Haji Abdul Razak, revealed the news of the extension after the conclusion of the 17th edition of the 2015 F1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix at the Sepang International Circuit today.
“The contract for the extension was signed today following the successful negotiations between SIC and Formula One Management. The Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix has been a major annual sporting event in the country since it was first hosted here in 1999.”
With the calendar continuing to swell, many of the older races – of which the Malaysian Grand Prix is one – are thought to be at risk. However, this new contract ensures that F1 will continue to visit Sepang, which following the success of Sunday’s race is no bad thing at all.
“I’m so excited to join Andretti United Extreme E,” Munnings said in a release. ““I was really intrigued when I first heard about Extreme E, I just knew I had to be involved. The male / female racing partnership is a fantastic and exciting new concept. The season has incredible locations and the racing will be very exciting. It will be a new challenge for the teams and drivers, and I’m so thrilled to be working with such a strong team.
“The championship is a really innovative concept, it’s combining motorsport and science and will produce an important legacy in each race location. Bringing the platform that motorsport has in line with the awareness that the planet needs right now is awesome and a really important message.”
Said Hansen: “Going into the Extreme E will be a new chapter in my career, one that I am extremely excited about. It is something brand new, not only for me, but the whole of motorsport. The format is something
we’ve never seen before. I’m also delighted to be able to carry the message of something bigger – talking about the environment and doing something good for the world – that’s something that really drives me. It’s going to be a big adventure in life to see these locations and I’m going to do my best in carrying this responsibility and hopefully making people aware of the challenges we have in the world, together with our passion for racing.”