This weekend marks the official start to the Month of May at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It’s the final countdown to the Verizon IndyCar’s Series Grand Prix of Indianapolis and ultimately, the Indianapolis 500.
It starts Sunday not with a race, but with practice. In addition to a veteran’s practice session to start things off, the day includes the Rookie Orientation Program and then a test of the new Indianapolis aero package.
The entry list for the test session has been released and there are things to note.
- Only 30 cars are on the entry list, with several drivers anticipated to be in the 33 that start the Indy 500 not participating in this test.
- Davey Hamilton will test the No. 24 Chevrolet that will be driven Townsend Bell.
- Ed Carpenter, Justin Wilson, Oriol Servia, Pippa Mann and Bryan Clauson will be making their first laps of the season in an IndyCar.
- JR Hildebrand and Sebastian Saavedra will not be present at the test.
- 09:30am – Gates Open
- 09:30am – 10:45am – Verizon IndyCar Series Veterans Practice
- 10:45am – 12:00pm – Rookie Orientation Program
- 12:05pm – 12:55pm – Fan Pit Lane Walk
- 01:00pm – 05:00pm – Verizon IndyCar Series Oval Test Session
- 05:00pm – Gates Close